PCI-x and PSU question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Sep 25, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay my dad just purchased a new computer...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01172&id=1149204270227

My question is...

He wants to run dual DVI monitors, so we need a real gfx card. I have found an x1300 dual dvi from newegg for like $89.99. I need to know if the stock PSU can plug into this PCI X card or not? Is it powerful enough, he wont be gaming or anything he just runs a lot of photoshop, illustrator, etc. All he wants is an extra monitor hooked up for the extra viewable area.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it! :)

2. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Well it lists the board as having a PCI-E 16x slot... so I'm going to assume that the PSU has a PCI-Express power cable. But the only way to tell is to open up the case and check. I tink they make 4pin molex > PCI-E converter plugs.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay i'm freaking out...in system information it says the clock speed is 985mhz it is supposed to be 2.2 ghz with a 4400+ ???? WTF is this shit...I knew it didn't seem any faster than the old computer!! Why is this ?

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

either download and run CPUID or run dxdiag and see what it says there for cpu speed.

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay got a print screen of it...

it fluctuates between 1000mhz with a multiplier of 5 up to the top 2400mhz multiplier of 12

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This new computer can't be running this slow, I am tempted to return it if thats "just how it is"

Thanks all.

7. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

AMD Cool 'n Quiet Technology...

Go into BIOS and turn it off if you want your processor to run at full speed all the time.

I don't know the in-depth way it works but basically it throttles your processor speed.

8. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Wow F%$^ that...I want it running as fast as it can all the time lol! It's not even like I am overclocking it, I just want it to run faster.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The CPU only slows down when it's not doing anything. There's no point in running the CPU at full speed when it's idle...or do you like to redline your car's engine in Neutral while you sit at stoplights? It's the same concept.

You bought an AMD X2 processor. That means it has two CPU cores in one chip, and it looks like AMD decided to add the two 2400MHz CPU speeds together -- minus a little bit to account for the fact that it's not actually running at 4800MHz -- and so that's where the "4600+" number on the box comes from.

It doesn't need to run as fast as you think it should. Because it has two CPUs, it will take a lot more programs to make it bog down -- in other words, it will run at a more reliable speed, instead of blasting along when you're running one program and bogging down when you're running four or five programs.

Take it from someone who uses multi-CPU machines at work every day (that would be me) -- it's better to have the reliable speed than the ridiculously-fast speed, especially if you're going to be running any heavy-duty programs on your new computer.

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

well i did do a little more research and found out how it worked...I was just hoping for a little more speed, but the milti program thing is great I will say

11. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

My only problem with it is that it doesn't always function as it should. My laptop used it and for the first few months to a year I never even realized it was turned on because the transition was seamless enough. Then I started realizing the computer running like crap. And nothing seemed to help. Fresh reformat, checked everything else out and even threw in another 512 stick of a RAM. Decided to run CPU-Z on it one day and realized it was sitting at 700 mhz (1.4 or 1.8 ghz chip). Opened a few programs thinking it should throttle up and a few would but most wouldn't. Why I have no idea. At that point I turned it off and have been happier with it ever since, although battery life is down but that's to be expected.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fair enough. I've never owned a laptop with throttling, though I have used them from time to time. I've never seen the throttling break, but who knows.