PCI Video Capture for Home Surveillance?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChatChai, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right forum but since it's a Video Capture Device I figure I would start here. I wanted to use a single camera in front of my house but I want to record the video onto my PC. I've seen some PCI video capture devices but I'm not sure what to choose. Any recommedations or experiences?

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

There are a whole slew of products designed for exactly this purpose. You might look into a unit (standalone or otherwise) with motion detection. That way it only records when the camera senses motion instead of burning up hours worth of disc space.

Frys has a decent selection of more inexpensive equipment. The more serious gear is very pricey.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

www.jinco.com

This company also sells computer parts. I've used them for almost all of my computer-case-buying needs in the past five years or so.

4. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Sorry for the late response but I've been gone all weekend. So going the PCI route instead of purchasing a standalone dedicated DVR would be sufficient? Also any particular brands of PCI cards I should stick with?