PCI Serial Controller in laptop keeps bugging me for drivers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Evil_Gemini, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

I have an old compaq armada v300 laptop

I got for $20 because the battery in it doesnt charge and the screen is a little funny. I installed windows 98 SE and everything runs perfect. I even got the usb ports to work on it :).

The problem is, it keeps bugging me for a PCI serial controller driver and i cant find it anywhere. All the hardware is working fine and there isnt anything wrong in device manager. How can i disable the warning ? Obviously i dont need to install the drivers for it because its working very well. Im pretty suprised actually :eek3:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It might be an infrared wireless transmitter, or it might be the serial port built into the computer's modem. Either way, the solution could be to go into the BIOS and dig around for a serial port or a COM port setting and shut it off. Or, you could turn the device off in Windows Control Panel, but honestly I haven't used Win98 in so long that I don't remember where that setting is anymore.

You should install Windows 2000, instead of wrangling with Win98's instability and general oldness. Or even a very bare version of Windows XP. You might laugh, but I have a stripped-down version of XP running on a 350MHz Pentium II Gateway laptop. Technically it's a Gateway 2000 -- it's that old, they still used the old name for the company. It takes a long time to boot up, so I use the Hibernate feature instead of shutting it down. It starts a lot faster that way.

3. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

yeah i was thinking about installng this stripped down version just so i dont have to deal with driver issues with windows 98 but the hdd in this is only around 4gb.

Ill have a look for what you mentioned if i cant figure it out ill just put xp on it.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

4GB is about the same as the HDD in my old laptop with XP on it. Honestly, how much heavy use is an old-ass laptop going to see, anyway? Disc space isn't as important as the fact that it runs at all.

If you use a program called nLite to integrate Service Pack 2 into your Windows XP disc, you can cut down the space required by Windows by quite a tidy sum.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005