PCI IDE Card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by breal, Feb 15, 2007.

1. breal

breal Active Member

Im lookin to install 2 more IDE hard drives into my comp.
    what card would OT reccomend?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I would recommend that you buy an SATA card instead, connect an SATA drive, copy your OS onto the SATA drive, and use the IDE drive you currently have for whatever dark purpose you have in mind.

Promise makes good offboard controllers for both SATA and IDE.

3. breal

breal Active Member

this comp is becoming a spare in a few months, and im just trying to get a little more space on it for now. the next computer will have SATAs tho.

ty:bigthumb:

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

IMO, promise still makes the best cards for stuff like that, as mentioned, if you're buying new drives, go with a sata controller and drives.

5. deusexaethera

Regardless, don't waste your money on obsolete parts. IDE is only useful for long-term storage anymore, and SATA is affordable enough nowadays that the only reason to go with IDE is if you don't have any SATA ports. Since you need to buy more ports to go with your new drives, you'd be wasting your money to buy old ports instead of new ports. Get an SATA-2 card anyway, even if your machine doesn't need it now; the card will be useful farther into the future that way.

6. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If you're upgrading in a few months, go for a network storage device instead.

7. breal

breal Active Member

guess i shoulda explained a little more...the hard drives i have now are staying in that comp. ive had the 2 extra ones for a few years now that ive just stored movies and shows on. once i move, this computer will basically just be used thru a tv and to share all my files on the house network.
    this is the last addition to this computer i plan on doing, as i am sick of it.

8. deusexaethera

Then I guess your choice is clear; get a Promise IDE controller.

9. breal

breal Active Member

:bigthumb: bought one and hopefully it will be here early next week

10. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

Your post gave me an idea. Now i want to scrap my 60gb (main driver w/OS) and get something bigger.

How do i go about copying my OS to the new drive? I don't have the disk or anything cause it came on it when i bought the cpu.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

considering that the PCI bus is a shared 133MB/s I think that deusexaethera's advice is rather useless.

12. deusexaethera

You thought that before, and you were proven wrong by the benchmarks I ran on my system before/after installing a PCI SATA controller.

13. deusexaethera

I've had the best luck with using MSBackup to create an Automated System Restore backup of the old hard drive, then restoring that backup to the new hard drive, then using PartitionMagic to expand the restored partition to fit the new drive.

It's kind of a clunky process, I suppose, but it does have the benefit of ensuring that the restored installation of Windows is tweaked by the install CD so it will run properly on whatever new computer you're restoring the backup onto.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have proven you wrong on countless events. And you are wrong in this thread, as well.

Sticking a SATA drive on the PCI bus is about as smart as taking a shit on the hood of your own car.

And this is further compounded with Promise controllers being extremely shitty.

15. deusexaethera

When you say things like this, I can only assume you live in a Twilight Zone of sorts, where things have the same names but different properties. This is because I have yet to experience anything of the sort that you described, in this thread or in countless others where we've argued over hardware.

Or...am I the one in the Twilight Zone? :noes:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seeing as how I know what I'm talking about, I think you are in the twilight.