PCI Express?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Captain Amazing, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I hear its gonna make the AGP slot seem ancient compared to it. What exactly is it?

2. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I was also thinking of getting a new video card but now that I hear about this im not sure. Should I just wait until a PCI Express motherboard comes out then get one of those and a new video card since the current video cards wont play on a PCI Express motherbaords?

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

What is PCI Express exactly? Are those the ones that are twice as long as regular PCI slots?

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

just google for it, it's just a new IO standard. Theres PCI-E 1x for sound cards and stuff like that, then there's PCI-E 16x for graphics and other high bandwidth applications. Different physical connectors. But apparently it's still backwards compatible with regular PCI.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Sounds :cool:. I was just wondering, since I know the G5 has the double-length PCI slots in it.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yeah, i've seen the double length pci slots, and they're typically used for SCSI controllers and fibre network cards and shit. 64bit I think

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:werd: 64 bit pci slots

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Isn't this neww PCI slot refferred to as PCI-X? and what kind of bandwidth does it have?

9. plat

plat New Member

PCI-X is up to a 133mhz 64-bit pci slot. PCI-Express is something totally different.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yeah, that's what i thought, i never heard it referred to as PCI-Express before.. hmm, i'll have to look into it

11. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

It all depends on how long you can wait to get a new video card.
    PCI Express motherboards are not planned to be out until Q2 of 2004 I believe, and they will probably be at a price premium for a while, so it might not make sense to buy one until the end of next year, so if you can wait that long, then do it. If not, upgrade the video card now and worry about that other stuff until after it has been available for a while.

12. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

There's always something "you might want to wait for" .... and as soon as that comes out, there's something else right behind it. I just say fuck it and buy what I want :)

13. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

14. Knightmare X

Knightmare X OT Supporter

I was thinking about buying a new computer around May or June. PCI Express 'might' be, but probably won't be out by then. I can't decide if I should wait for it or not. I know the vast majority would say build your own, but I've decided I want to buy an Alienware computer since I have no technical knowledge in that regard and would rather just know that it is built right. I was planning on getting a top of the line video card...would it be worth waiting? I wouldn't really want to pay a huge premium, but it depends how much it was I guess.

15. Accido

Accido New Member

I used to think this way, but aren't these new standards? The last ones of which lasted over a decade I think. :confused: it sounds like a "must wait" upgrade.

16. Knightmare X

Knightmare X OT Supporter

yeah thats the same way I interpreted it, like you can't get a new video card without this because all the new ones will be based on PCI-X.....