PCAnyhwere Help??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Feb 3, 2004.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm currently using PCAnywhere from work to get into my machine at home. It works, but it is pretty slow. Is there anything I can tweak to make it run a little faster?

FYI, I'm on cable Internet access at work and at home. I go through the router at work over the net and into my Linksys wireless router and it's set to forward that to my machine in my home network.

It is definitely bearable, but I was wondering if there is something I can do to help just a little bit. I'm not expecting it to be as fast as the machine I am on. I think I read somewhere about incresing or decreasing the # of MTU's on my router config page? I don't really know anything about that so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

CM.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

read www.dslreports.com tools->faq page about changing the MTU and othe settings

If the router's MTU is set at 1500, then just leave it alone.
    That's the best you can set it to

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i've always had better performance with VNC or Remote Desktop (which is built into windows xp prof). I have to use PcAnywhere for work, it it's always slow, even from a DS3 to T1.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks for the replies. I am currently reading up on the MTU settings. I know where to chage the MTU on my router config page, but is there anywhere else I have to set it at? I would imagine my work router too, but I don't have access to that info since it is managed by our ISP... Are there any MTU settings in PCAnyhwere itself?

Thanks,

CM.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Also just to clarify my problem, I logged on to my machine at home from work. I was on for 4 minutes and 31 seconds. And I only sent 13kb of data while I received 822kb of data...

AM I right that adjusting the MTU should fix this??? I've already changed it a few times according to what I was reading about it and there hasn't been a change.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I doubt the change would happen without a power-down, power-up of the router since it would get out of sync. Try changing it and doing that.

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

13k to and 822k back from the machine your connecting too does not sound too far off. Even a slow Cable line poorly setup can do much more than that. Those numbers are not that unusual with PCAnywhere, much more traffic comes from the 'Server' than the client.

As for the MTU 1400 to 1500 (depending who your asking, 1496 for straight Ethernet, 1492 for most PPPoE or 1480 for XP's PPPoE(1500 is close enough)) is about the best your going to do, and changing its not going to make a big difference. Beyond popular believe you may save a millisecond or so a packet changing from 576 to 1500, so over a millions of packets you save a second or two yippee!!

I agree with the above suggestion of switching to VNC, it uses better compression (smaller AND faster) and is overall much 'lighter' than PCAnywhere (Its also free but looses some toys!). Also what are the speeds of the machine, I have known PCAnywhere to get REALLY slow on slower machines lacking in memory especially if you OVER attempt to speed up the connection or increase security.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks for the reply... I checked my router page and found out that the MTU setting was disabled? Anyway, I enabled and left it at the 1400 which it was set to. I'll have to re-boot the router when I get home and see if it helps.

My work machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200 P4 1.7 gig with 1 gig of RAM and my home machine is one I built with a P4 1.7 gig and 512 megs RAM. I don't see that being an issue.

Right now, I'm taking a look at a write-up on seting up the built-in remote desktop and might give that a go.

I'll check out VNC...

Thanks,

CM.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, I just finished setting up Windows Remote Desktop. This is tons faster than PCAnywhere. The biggest problem I had was finding what port it listened on so I could enable it on my router (3389 BTW). Pretty cool!!!

Thanks,

CM.

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will