PC won't finish boot sequence. Need help Troubleshoot...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ManinCamo, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

My dad called me up today with some PC issues.

1) Booting up hangs at Windows XP loading image
    or
    2) tries to run scan disk, freezes partway through

I couldn't find anything on it, so i had him attempt a repair installation. He setup his CD/DVD drive to be the first boot device, and using a bootable XP disk, among other bootable disks, he gets a floppy seek error 4. His computer does not have a floppy disk, and I had him move that in the bios to the last item.

I could run a bunch of diagnostic tools on the computer, but I live 8 hours away. My dad has a moderate amount of computer knowledge, but he isn't a super technologically capable guy.

Ideas?

Any ideas?

2. Lynn

Lynn Yes my wife does and no you can't watch.

Sounds like a piece of hardware is going out.

Does he have anything he can remove i.e, modem, network card, usb card...etc..

Try one at a time, this can be a pain in the ass, but has worked for me in the past. :bigok:

3. Lynn

Lynn Yes my wife does and no you can't watch.

Another idea, has he tried to boot in safe mode?

I'm going to assume you have done this one.

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

yea, safemode is a no-go. it freezes while trying to load the drivers.

I was able to find out that he was doing some electrical work, and turned off the electricity at the breaker box w/o turning the PC off. I'm thinking that he corrupted some core system files however that does't explain why the DVD drive wouldn't work. He spoke with tech support folks (dell) who say the HDD is bad. I don't buy that though. I'm more inclined to beleive that there is a combination of a bad motherboard and corrupt files on the HDD.

He's going to buy a new HDD and try that. I don't think it'll work.

Hmm, I need to have him reset CMOS, reconfigure the boot sequence and see if that works.

Sorry, thinking through the keyboard.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Cmos isn't a bad idea.

I'd be surprised if some hardware had failed from the breaker being turned off.

And once the breaker was turned back on, the pc would have been off and shouldn't have been effected there, either.

There may be a hardware failure involved, but it's probably just a coincidence.

+1 for unplugging stuff. And I'd start with the memory, if there's more than one stick.

6. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

I would start there as well. My mother just had a similar issue like you are describing (won't get through boot sequence), and this turned out to be the problem. Anymore, I am always inclined to start with pulling RAM, and rebooting with only 1 stick in at a time.