Pc using up all my memory and barely any CPU usage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eat Shit, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

Just doesnt seem right, It keeps hanging up trying to do random shit that never happened. programs are hanging real bad, takes forever to load my other hardrvies, etc...

I recently Just reinstalled 32bit Vista Ultimate w/ aero, wiped the drive and started over. Got all the drivers reinstalled, everything seems fine most of the time.

Intel duo e6550
    2gbs of 800mhz corsair ram
    nvidia geforce 7300gt

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

2GB of RAM is not enough for Vista. The consensus is 3GB is minimum for decent performance.

You need to be more detailed about the "random shit that never happened", though.

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

2gb is fine over here, major multitasking, cod4, etc. and it doesn't really hang up much.

4. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

See exactly, i was simply trying to burn a cd this last time and browse through my Pc files ,and everything hung up for a good ten minutes before it came back down.

My media player network service quits constantly, COM Surrogate, Nero closes Randomly wont even burn an audio cd. Explorer hangs a lot.
    It sometimes takes 2 mins just for excplorer to have my Drives Show up and load.

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Bah, I run premium on my T42 with only a gig and it's smokin for anything 'normal', even on a 1.7 Dothan/R9600. I can still get work done reasonably well in PS CS3 and whatever if I have to on the road too. More is better...but 2GB is not what's causing this.

6. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

well then.... any ideas

7. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

not only that it worked fine prior

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

This sounds a lot like a driver conflict/hardware conflict.

Did you add anything at all new? Even so much as something plugged into a usb port?

9. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

PS cs3, DW CS3, shit load of tabs on FF, Pidgin, itunes all running at the same time, no issues or lag.

10. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Exactly. Properly sorted vista isn't nearly as intensive as people seem to believe. Though...people believing that (based on practical experience) says something about the OS methinks :squint:

11. deusexaethera

You're running Vista Ultimate on that machine?

Anyway, now that he says it'll hang for minutes at a time, I'm gonna blame drivers.

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

wiped the drive, started over, reinstalled drivers, still hangs,.... looks like bad ram to me. run memtest.

13. deusexaethera

He never said he got better drivers, though. I mean, it could be bad RAM, but from what I've seen, bad RAM causes bluescreens, not awkward silences.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

well,.. he did say he reinstalled the drivers on his first post. so unless he used the wrong/outdated/corrupted drivers,.... i'd suspect bad drivers first too.

bad ram can cause bsods, system wide freezes, slow downs, random reboots, incorrect output, and a lot of other things. it's the usual suspect on system hangs. other than that,.... overheating and bad mobo would be the next.

15. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

that's what my thought was.

ensure that your drivers are up to date and the correct ones of course. don't mess with any USB drives and see if you have any hangs.

If you do then check the RAM. If you have 2gb maybe it's just one stick. try booting with one stick and then the other and see if that helps the hanging.

2gb of RAM is plenty for Vista. 3gb is an unoticible difference from what I've seen. Even when exporting 2gb files from Illustrator CS3