PC Troubleshooting Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by el_gato_negro, May 1, 2004.

1. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

The box:

Soyo K7ADA v1.0
    AMD Thunderbird 1.4 (running at 1.3...it doesn't like full speed.. :o )
    1x 512 Centon
    1x 128 Crucial
    1x 128 Kbyte (all are PC 2100)
    Antec case and 430 TruePower PSU
    1x 30 GB WD HDD
    1x 80 GB WD HDD
    Cendyne DVD-ROM
    Teac CD-RW
    GeForce 2 Ti AGP 64MB DDR
    Santa Cruz
    Windows XP Home

-anyway-

I'm posing this from my business laptop because the above machine does not POST...it only emits an unending high-pitched beep. I ripped it down to just the MB and no beeps occur. The minute I replace the CPU it beeps.

So, I assume this (fluky) CPU has finally given out on me. The odd thing is that when my 1900+ died (same setup otherwise) I got no beeps. So this leads me to wonder if the CPU slot has gone bad. Unfortunately, I have no spare CPUs with which to test this hypothesis.

My (sorta dumb) question is this: is there a way to test this without buying another CPU? I'd love to ditch this MB/CPU combo entirely, but I really shouldn't spend the money right now.

This combo is looking sooo good right now... :big grin:

2. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

In my experience, when there is a dead CPU there are no beeps. How far apart are the beeps? Rapid, or with about a second between? Theres a beep code which signifies different errors.

What you should try is leaving only 1 stick of ram, CPU, and vid card in and booting. Try all 3 sticks of ram by themselves.

3. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

Already tried all 3 sticks separately. The computer emits a single unending beep with ONLY the CPU plugged in. It's hard to say which it is - I found out the MB will not even attempt to POST without a CPU. I don't have an extra CPU to troubleshoot the board.

I'd really hate to buy another CPU and have the culprit be the board. So I went ahead and bought the 3000+ bundle. I probably shouldn't spend the money, but the T-bird is old and never was a great performer (stability-wise). I only hope that the 3000+ goes in without a hitch. Supposedly Asus boards are the business - this'll be my first. :x: