PC Trouble

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by purpledonkey, Oct 10, 2005.

1. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

I have a PC I haven't touched in a long while, but I'd LOVE to be able to get it going again for gaming not to mention, I really want the data off of it.

Here is the issue.

System is EXTREMELY unstable. It boots, windows loads, crashes almost immediately. It then continues to crash without booting in to windows. To make matters more stressful, the HD setup is an IDE RAID 0.

THe crash SEEMS to be hardware, but I can't be certain. I'd love to just reinstall the OS, but I need to get the data off the drive first.

I've tried repair from windows CD (it runs XP) to no avail.
    I loaded another drive on the regular IDE bus, loaded the OS on it, but Windows didn't see the RAID drives, so I couldn't copy the data that way.

I just really need to get the data off of it. Can I boot from the CD somehow, with networking enabled, and the drives loaded, so that I can just copy the info off that I need, and then reformat and reinstall?

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Try a linux LiveCD like Knoppix. There's tons of help on the web about how to do it.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try reinstalling Windows from the CD instead of repairing. DON'T format the disk first, obviously. Install it to a different folder, too, just in case the Windows Repair was deciding to leave some obscure but corrupted filewhere it was instead of overwriting it.

If that doesn't work, try pulling the whole raid assembly (drives, RAID card, everything) and installing it in another computer. Install the card by itself first and let that other computer get comfortable with it before powering down and installing the disks.

Then, when all is said and done and you're ready to make the computer work again, switch the disks to a RAID 1 setup. You get half the disk space, but you can still read them twice as fast on account of having two copies of the data to read at the same time. And you have none of the worries with your computer going to shit like you do now.

4. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

OK, Finally got it hooked up and tried to install windows...

it will boot from CD, it starts the setup process, gets to the "Setup is starting Windows", then blue screen of death. No driver listed.

Blah, suggestions?

5. tony

tony Guest

Install windows to another drive in the machine. Then install the RAID drivers. Windows usually doesnt come with drivers for RAID arrays.

If you did install the RAID drivers, then the array could be toast.

I'd try as was mentioned above, Knoppix might have a kernel module to support your RAID array. You could then mount the volume and copy the data to a spare drive (easiest way)