PC Switcher

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dominion, May 18, 2005.

1. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Looking here soon to get a new laptop for when I go back to school to do homework/general surfing on.....looking at a potential mac, used from ebay. However theres all kinds of notebooks and I'm a bit lost.

What would OT Mac Zealots recommend for homework, surfing, music/slight editing. Nothing professional, but would be nice to have if I get bored away from my desktop. I would also like to play WOW, if possible (willing to play with lower settings of course :p)

Questions, even though wow says min spec of 800mhz, is there a difference on the mac processors?

What are the differences between G4, G3, titanium powerbook, wallstreet, etc.

The one I'd like to get is the white ibook/powerbook with the blue apple thing on the back. Forgive the newb questions, I'm a pc person looking for something new :)

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Im not game junkie but the you'd want the powerbook instead of the ibook if you want to play games. The G3 is an ok processor, my laptop is a G3 but the G4 is a much better bang for the buck. Look for a titanium powerbook. The wallstreet is almost obsolete as it can't even run the most current OS but the Pismo can. Hope this helps!

3. Dominion

The more I'm looking and thinking about it, the more I think I can do all I do on a PC (save some of my games, but I still have my 2 gaming PC's) the more I'm thinking about just pulling out the stops and getting the powerbook.

Would it be worth it to sell off my current gaming system, which I don't use all that much and get the 12inch powerbook (got a 19inch monitor for home use so that's no big deal on screen size). Would this powerbook (the 12inch G4) be powerful enough for wow? The only game I play right now :p

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:ugh: apple doesn't ship a machine with a G3 processor anymore... :hsugh:

edit: I thought you were only talking about new hardware.... if not then ignore me :embd:

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

selling your existing machine is up to you... just keep in mind that most mac users will freely admit that not as many games are written for macs as PCs... the big titles usually make it over, but it is a fact of life that Macs have fewer games, so keep that in mind.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the 12" should be able to play it, but if you got the 15" and upgraded the video card to a 128, you'd probably be happier.

7. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

mac's have pretty much every game PC's do now. in addition, ive heard titles like half-life are getting ported as we speak.

www.apple.com/games/features

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :bsflag:

Link or ban :squint:

9. Dominion

Well thats the whole thing, I'm looking to get away from as much hardcore online gaming and this is my first step. Getting rid of the gaming system :p

I still have my consoles and I don't play those as often, and I'm even considering canceling wow. I don't think I'm going to occupy myself with much gaming untill after graduation. I need to focus on full time school and work :p

10. urban ape

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  11. urban ape

then a mac would be perfect, i'd say go iBook if youre just going to do internet/email/chat/etc..

or go powerbook if youre going to do tasks that require more umph like heavy editing or something like that.