**PC PSU Experts** Did I make a mistake in buying this?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sj23, Feb 28, 2006.

1. sj23

sj23 Active Member

I'm new to PSU upgrades and just wanted to upgrade my noisy Dell one. So I ordered this one last night:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182018

Now as I was doing more reading on PSU's today I read somewhere that some of the newer GPU cards need about 24A on the 12V rail, which I'm assuming stands for amps. The one I ordered above says: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] I'm only going to be utilizing 20 pins on the main connector, since that's all my MB has, so I'm assuming the +12V1 is for the 20 pins and +12V2 is for the +4 pins. Am I right?

Here's my system specs:
    3.0 P4 HT
    1GB PC3200
    80GB 7200RPM
    BFG 6800GT OC
    DVD-ROM
    CD-RW
    Sound Blaster
    TV Tuner

The only thing I OC is my GPU, but not by much. So will this PSU be good enough or should I return it for one w/ more amps on the 12V rail?

2. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Rosewill's aren't proficient enough to hold out in the long run. Having dual 12V rails is a cheaper way of getting more 12V power. You have a total of 19A on your 12V rails (14A + 5A). That 6800GT OC is power hungry, especially if it's already pre-overclocked by BFG, and when you are planning to overclock it some more. For your price range, a Forton would do you good.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817104953

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

rosewill? what the fuk is a rosewill?

never heard that brand before, i wouldn't have bought it

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

can someone recommend a good psu for under $50?

5. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

6. sj23

sj23 Active Member

:hsugh:

7. sj23

sj23 Active Member

Does anyone know any Newegg coupon codes or where to get one?

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

:ugh2:

wtf are you ughing about. it is leaps and bounds better than that roswill POS.

That is a great power supply, and recommend it also.

9. sj23

sj23 Active Member

I'm ughing at the guy who asked for a recommendation when a good one was already recommended in the 2nd post.

That's why I've already ordered it!:bigthumb: And gotta pay ghey "restocking" fees and probably shipping to return the other one. :ugh:

10. lowfat

It was the same guy :hs: He was just making sure you saw it i'd think.

11. Poon

Poon New Member

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

My Rosewill was superb, 35A on 12v rail, build quality and components was good from what I can tell. They make cheapies, i thought th RP550 was good. not "best" by any means of course.

13. sj23

sj23 Active Member

Props to you for the recommendation. It's quiet and even fixed the problem of the USB ports on my Dell 1704FPV not working. I am kind of disappointed that I wasn't able to OC my 6800GT a little more. I OC'd my GPU to 420/1100 from the stock 370/1000 speed on 3dMark03 and it crashed midway just like it did w/ my Dell PSU. No biggie though, I just lowered the OC a bit and ran fine like before. What I find weird is that the core clock on my old 5900XT could stand more OC'ing. From a stock 390/700 it would OC to 500/780 w/ no problems. Any ideas on this?

Another question I have is on my Zalman VF700. I was wondering if there was a switch where I could swich from 5V to 12V so that I can switch from quiet to normal modes w/out having to disconnect and connect the wires over and over. It's nice to have on quiet mode during normal use and normal mode during gaming. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]
    TIA

And oh yea, :down: To newegg and their return policy. Charging a 15% restocking fee and not covering shipping on a return. That ended up being $12 down the drain for nothing. I'd understand for a small company, but not for one as big as them. It's probably the last time I order from them and stick to ebay and the local Frys from now on.

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

damn man, i've RMA'd with newegg.com numerous times and never payed a dime. maybe they've changed since i did it last, almost over a year ago since last RMA.

15. sj23

sj23 Active Member

Who knows. Funny thing is that their return warehouse is only like 15 min from my house and they don't allow you to drop by. They can kiss my :moon:

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Not really. There might be better PSUs for <$50 than the one this guy bought, but I wouldn't call them good per se. I'm a fan of the Vantec iON2, myself. 460 watts and a single 120mm fan to keep the noise and the heat to a minimum at the same time.

17. lowfat

that is quite easily done. except without the little cable they provide. Go buy a 3 way switch. either splice the fan header wire, or add little wires into the header it self. Run the black wire into one of the black wires of a molex connector (I wire it into the back, soldering the wire there would be the best idea, but I have taped it but mack sure it is very secure). Then run the red wire from the fan header to the middle prong of the three way switch. Run a wire from the top of the switch to the yellow wire of the molex connector. Then run a wire from the bottom of the switch to the red wire of the molex connector.

Done.

18. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Motherfucking dot.