PC -> progressive scan DVD player (BIG ASS PICS)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by dbman96, Feb 3, 2003.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Quick comparison:

Interlaced output via component YPrPb cables (left side) vs. 480p output through component YPrPb cables from PC through Radeon 9500:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Excuse the green bar, the camera shutter doesn't like to sync to the screen refresh rate. The differences on a freeze frame are pretty subtle but if you look at the outline of the top of the birds it looks a lot more pixelated on the interlaced DVD output. In motion the PC output appears far smoother and still frame text and menus appear crisper. My TV is desperately in need of some focus and more advanced convergence adjustments but overall I'm pretty pleased with my ghetto ass PC to HDTV connection!

2. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Dude I don't have a keen eye for these, but the only real difference is the left has more of a reddish hue on the beaks and perhaps abit more pixelated or sharper. I see the right being blurred abit.

What movie is that ? Looks like a riot.

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

It's hard to isolate differences on a paused image... DVD being made for motion, etc. To my eyes, the image on the right is smoother not because it's blurred but because there is simply more data to display. In motion the difference is a little more apparent, but I also fully expect to be able to improve the image a lot through some software tuning. This was just my first effort and at 2:30am it seemed like a great idea to take screen pics and post whore them all over the place.

The movie is the Pixar animated short "For the Birds" from the Monsters, Inc. DVD