PC Problems (M$ Updates, Network Connection, & 360 Media Sharing)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Saluki, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Saluki

Saluki New Member

So I'm just going to start off by saying I'm no expert at all so this might be simple but I don't know...so I'm going to try to provide as much info as possible.

Having some problems with my computer (XP Pro SP2). A couple weeks ago I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, video board, and RAM using http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm <<< those instructions. Everything went great and I haven't noticed any problems until last night when I wanted to connect to my Xbox360 for the media sharing (which I have been able to do before). I couldn't get it to connect with WMP11 so I used that Zune software (all the while following Microsoft's instructions) to the point where it asked me to select a device to share to...there was nothing to select in the box so that got me thinking there was a network problem. Did some looking around and noticed I couldn't see any of the other computers on my LAN at home (normally I can). I thought that was weird so I then tried to see if I even had my printers (I don't) that are connected through a computer that acts as our print server (everything is setup as a workgroup). All the other computers in the house can see each other and the printers...

So after all that I was frustrated and didn't know what to try to I figured I'd just restart and see if magically everything would work...but when I went to the restart thing there was a Microsoft update shield on the upper right corner of the shut down button saying there were updates to install and they would be installed when I shut down. So I tried that and it said I had 1 of 89 updates being installed with the little periods moving next to it but in the middle of that Windows shut down. I started everything back up and noticed the yellow shield in the tray indicating there were updates to be installed and clicked on it and they started the installation process but then stopped and it said there were updates that could not be installed and listed them (security updates, WMP 11 updates, etc). Soooo WTF is going on...I have no idea what to do?!

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Did you reinstall Windows after upgrading your hardware?

3. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Repaired it.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Format, Install.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So, are you saying your computer keeps downloading updates but every single one fails to install? There's a fix for that, but I'm lazy so I won't look it up until I know if that's the problem you're having.

6. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Yes that's what's going on with the updates.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Put this in a batch file and run it.

net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
    net start wuauserv