PC Problem (possibly ram)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mattxr1, May 21, 2006.

1. mattxr1

mattxr1 bamf

Recently my computer has been freezing up and I'd have to resort to manually restarting my computer. Just a few hours ago it froze up again and this time Windows wouldn't boot after I restarted. So out came the XP disk and I formatted my hard drive. No big deal, I have everything backed up.

Anyway, I'm wondering if maybe this wasn't just an OS error or if maybe there's something wrong with my RAM. Problem is I don't want to go out and spend $$$ buying more memory if that isn't even the issue. Is there any sure way to diagnose this problem???

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, did you install your drivers? Which ones did you install?

run prim95 and memtest86 if you suspect hardware probs... they tell you 100% if you have a problem or not.

3. mattxr1

mattxr1 bamf

alright, thanks. i can find those online?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

memtest86.com

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Also, check the capacitors on your motherboard to make sure that none of them are blown.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if this was the case, it probably wouldn't boot... Furthermore, prim95 and memtest86 is the *proper* way to test. It will detect problems regardless of physical damage.

8. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Probably, but I've seen many cases where blown caps would lead to hard locks. Proper? Maybe... Visual inspection? Easier. If the caps were blown, and the system was locking up a lot, they are only going to get worse which would eventually lead to a no POST situation most likely.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Wrong.

Lets look at this two ways:

if the caps are popping at the top, you do NOT know for sure that is the cause. So you STILL need to run prime95/memtest86. Congratulations, you just wasted your time.

if the caps are not popping at the top, you do NOT know for sure what the cause is. So you STILL need to run prime95/memtest86. Congratulations, you just wasted your time.

In conclusion:

That suggestion to check the capacitors on the motherboard does not guarantee that the problem will be diagnosed... The only guarantee is that you WILL waste your time.

10. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I disagree. Sure, the caps blown on the motherboard does not say that your RAM is bad. So yes, you should still test your RAM, but probably with another motherboard. I've seen plenty of motherboards with blown caps report RAM as being bad that wasn't bad. Prime95 is still likely to be an accurate test, and I'll go with you on that. Either way, if your motherboard has blown caps, time to replace the motherboard (or the caps if you are adventurous) because regardless if your RAM is good or not, the motherboard still needs to be replaced. And how long does a visual inspection take? 2 seconds... take the side off your computer, look... done.