[PC problem] New Power Supply keeps cutting off - help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Xadious, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Xadious

Xadious =======

The other day, my PC died, i.e. it didn't come on anymore. So i bought a new power supply, a pretty good one. So i replaced the old one but there seems to be some other problem with my PC. When i switch it on, the power keeps going. I took everything off (hard drive cables, ram etc, and just attached the power to the motherboard, and it still gives me the problem. I thought there maybe a problem with the power supply, so i put it in my other PC, and it worked great, yet the PC with the problem keeps powering down.

Why is this? Is it a problem with the motherboard or the CPU? I tried powering the PC up without the CPU on, but of i take the CPU out, the PC doesn't come on.

Also, i don't know whether this is the case or not, but it seems that when i leave the PC power cable detached for longer and put it back on the PC and power it up, the pc stays switched on for longer, i.e. 3 seconds, where as if i take it off and put it on after like a minute, then it powers off immediatley as in a split second.

How can i fix this? My motherboard is a K7S5A - CPU is AMD Athlon 2100XP and the new power supply is a dual fan 400w low noise power unit.

Help :hs:

2. Xadious

Xadious =======

But everything powers off within a few seconds - also, i detached the hard drives, along with everything else, off of the power supply cables. It should have stayed switched on without doing anything right? Viruses affect Hard drives only don't they?

3. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

try resetting the bios.. (theres a jumper on the mobo for it). If all possible, try go to into the BIOS, and see if your CPU isnt overheating possibly? If it is, there may be a deal in there that turns the PC off when it gets to a certain temp. Try moving your memory to a different slot... if you have more than 1 stick, try just 1 at a time, maybe one is bad? :dunno: Basically its just process of elimination.

4. Xadious

Xadious =======

I can't even get into the bios - - right now the PCs powers going off after a split second or so - so it doesn't even get a chance to do anything.

I tried taking the ram out one by one - then took both out - still doesn't work though.

5. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

could be a number of things:

IF you're computer is newer has has over a 2 gig processor and over 256megs ram... you need to make sure your power supply is AT LEAST a 300 watt PS.

250 is skimming it short.... always go up , not down.

It could be your power supply isnt putting off enough power.

OR

Sounds like you did not ground your motherboard good enough. check all the screws on the edge of the motherboard and make sure they are screwed in tight. Secondly, start your computer with the case off, that way you can see if there is a short anywhere :hs:

Hope that helps

6. Xadious

Xadious =======

My old power supply was 300watts which worked fine until it died. The new one is 400w.

The motherboard i didn't even unscrew :hs:

Someone told me it could be the CPU overheating - can CPUs really overheat within a second? Cause the PC powers off within a second now :(

7. Antilles

Antilles New Member

could be a bad mobo

8. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

The chip CAN overheat if the heatsink is not properly situated on it.. OR the fan is not coming on. So yes they can.

9. Xadious

Xadious =======

Is there anyway of checking whether its the motherboard or the CPU at fault? I don't wanna buy one thing only to find out the problem was with the other :hs:

The heatsink seems to be on the CPU properly - and the CPU fan powers up for the second or so the PC is on. Could it be that the CPU got fried :eek3: - a had a lot of wires in there that could have got tangled in the fan without me noticing - but then again, would there not be saftey measures in place that would force the PC wot shutdown if it became unstable?

10. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

have you tried turning the computer on with CPU and heatsink ONLY? or CPU, heatsink and RAM only? thats what i would do first and foremost

also, look in the manual for your motherboard to find the beep codes. for example if it says "CPU not detected = two long beeps", take the CPU out, turn it on, and see if the beep codes match. try to get it to produce all the beep codes. that way you can be certain the motherboard is okay

my suspicion is that since its an ECS motherboard, and since that model has had a very high return rate, your motherboard probably took a shit ... a regulator may have died or some other component so it powers up for only a second

good luck and let us know what you find

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

i doubt its the CPU. it would give you a beep code is the CPU was knackered

12. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

Pop off the chip and power up your computer.

It should just give a series of really irrtating BEEPS assuming you have the onboard speaker wired up.

The wires shouldnt be shredded, you're okay. But like someone mentioned, it could be a board motherboard - OR your bios is completely corrupted. :hs:

Either way, if the computer keeps acting like it does, go ahead and drop 100 bones for a new motherboard. :(

13. Xadious

Xadious =======

All comments are pointing to a bad motherboard :(

I tried taking the CPU off and powering up - but nothing happened, didn't even power up.

I think i'll buy a new motherboard :hs:

14. Xadious

Xadious =======

I tried again without the CPU - and it powered up - didn't switch off. The power supply was still switched on i.e the fans were still going (very quite this new unit). So does that mean its definitely the motherboard? There were no beeps or anything - just without the CPU the power supply did not turn off.

I'm looking on ebay as i write this :wtc:

15. tallguy425

tallguy425 po-ta-to

Meeer motherboard

16. Xadious

Xadious =======

I tried again without the CPU - and it powered up - didn't switch off. The power supply was still switched on i.e the fans were still going (very quite this new unit).

I put the hard drives/ram/cd drives etc back on - but didn't put the CPU back on - everything seemed to be powering up and working - however, the monitor did not come on - it was blank even though it was attached to the graphics card properly.

There were no beeps or anything, however, could that be because i disabled the beep on computer start option a while ago? When i used to start the computer there always used to be a single beep - i found that annoying so i disabled it in the bios - could that be preventing any beeps from sounding - or are they different, as in don't affect each other?

I also tested while having everything on but this time with the CPU on aswell -- computer switched off straightaway.

17. Xadious

Xadious =======

18. The Gorn

The Gorn Come to my planet so I can eff U up

Cpu fried? Have another to test?

19. Xadious

Xadious =======

Thats what somebody else suggested :hs: Will need to wait a few days till i can get a hold of someone elses CPU :x:

20. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

CPUs hardly ever "fry"

usually a component goes bad on the mobo, especially those shitty ECS motherboards

drop $85 and buy an abit nf7s .... you wont regret it

21. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

I oc'ed mine one time ( a 1.2ghz... had it up to 1.8ghz ) and sizzle sizzle.... TOAST :o

22. Xadious

Xadious =======

So i bought a new motherboard - pc powers up and all - but i got a few errors at first - something about acpi (blue screen when pc was starting up). Anyway, it just loaded windows for the first time in a while BUT, everythings become INCREDIBILY slow. I'm talking about slower than a 286 computer.

Reeeaaally slow. Anyone know what i need to change to speed things up and make it faster? :hs: I'll play around a bit, but any pointers to speed the process up would be greatfully appreciated. It's a setting thing right? Not more problems? :eek3:

23. Xadious

Xadious =======

The computer seems to work properly now, but I seem to be having problems with the CPU speed settings. My CPU is 2100xp+ as mentioned before, but now it shows up as 1500xp+. I've experienced this in the past but managed to fix it with the old motherboard via the bios. Anyway, on this motherboard, i went into the bios and changed the CPU frequency from 100mhz to 133mhz - now it shows up as being 2100xp+ but the computer just freezes and windows doesn't even load.

Any ideas?

24. Xadious

Xadious =======

Been testing for a while - the pc seems to run ok if i set cpu frequency @ 126mhz but then the cpu speed gets reduced. On top of that, the PC doesn't run as well as before it seems - and it doesn't even shutdown, it just hangs at different stages - like "logging off" it will show for a few minutes then "saving settings" will be shown for a while, then it'll just hang.

This is the screen i get when i set it at what its supposed to be set at - i.e 133mhz: pic

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004