PC POSTS' but says "CPU Changed or unoperable?!"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NPH, Jul 5, 2006.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

My computer was running fine last night.. I turned it on this morning and it got as far as the XP splash screen and then rebooted itself again into this endless cycle. It would bring up the boot-up mode selection screen (Safe Mode, Normal Mode, etc.), but now it says the CPU has been changed or is inoperable. If that was the case, wouldn't it not POST?!

I never overclocked the damn thing. I was beginning to think it was my hard drive, but it's not making any unusual sounds when powering up the computer. Could it really be the CPU?

I'm trying to go through the process of elimination, but I don't have an extra CPU around. Any ideas?

The motherboard is an ABIT IC7-MAX3 running a P4 3.2E

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

One of the possibilities is the power supply. You can get a psu tester for under 10 bucks. It's well worth the piece of mind that you'll get from knowing if it's the psu or not.

3. Doc Brown

4. NPH

NPH Guest

I sure hope it's the PSU.. It's a PC Power & Cooling unit and still under warranty. :(

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the PSU testers suck... they cannot be trusted. I've seen them fail good power supplies, and pass broken ones. Don't even bother!

Sounds like it's time to RMA that mobo!

6. NPH

NPH Guest

all it does now is boot into the selection screen that prompts you to select Safe Mode, etc.. I tried Safe Mode, and it freezes after displaying random driver lines. *shrugs* I loaded the fail-safe options on the BIOS as well. This is as far as I get now....

:wtc:

7. Doc Brown

Those are pretty awesome psu's, but you never know.

I saw a bit on voltage variance from the power companies, and I was surprised at how wide the voltage can vary. Especially in the summetime.
    The people in the program I watched were saying that it was one of the leading causes of electronics failures. This was some years ago, but I doubt if it's changed. (and fuck you jolly, it was not early 1900's! :fawk: )

I would still try a psu tester. Your psu is under warranty, so even if it gives a false reading, it won't cost you anything other than the ten bucks for the tester.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

borked software install is a distinct possibilitiy.

9. Doc Brown

So you can get into the bios? Can you check the cpu temp in your bios on that mobo?
    I'm wondering about that because of the changed cpu warning it gave you.
    If the cpu has been getting too hot, maybe it's been damaged.

And maybe it's the mobo too. Jolly is bound to be right once in a while. :)

10. Doc Brown

I thought of that too, but he said it ran fine the night before.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that doesn't really eliminate that possibility, tho

12. Doc Brown

Maybe he should try to run a windows repair?

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, I'm thinking it's a toasted registry. This exact same thing happened to my mother's computer -- specifically, the sudden unexplained onset of a endless reboot cycle which stops only when the computer freezes while loading in Safe Mode -- and the only thing that cured it was a reinstallation of Windows. A Windows Repair MIGHT do the job, but it won't entirely replace the registry, which is probably what he needs.

14. Doc Brown

So how about some of the other possibilities?
    Even if they're not very likely, things like swapping out ide cables.

Maybe a bad stick of ram. If he has more than one stick, removing one then the other.

If the power supply is on the way out, how about disconnecting everything but the hard drive.

I don't remember if it was this forum or another one that I was reading, where the guy's computer was refusing to boot. It wound up being his keyboard. If I remember right, it was a sticky key or some shit.

One of the tech guys diagnosed it by asking him if he was getting any beep codes while the computer was trying to boot up.

15. NPH

NPH Guest

I'll try to boot off the WinXP CD and hope that works.
    I tried a different keyboard since my primary one is USB and doesn't work until it the splash screen shows up.

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hardware failures usually don't produce errors that reoccur at specific points in software execution; that is to say, a loose IDE cable would cause errors when it stopped contacting for a split-second, not necessarily while Windows is loading -- at least not every single time. I'd bet money that this is a software error.

17. NPH

NPH Guest

I sure hope it is.. I got some expensive hardware in there.