PC on hard lines and edges

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by DonTalarico, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DonTalarico

DonTalarico New Member

I have a PC en route to my place with all the pads and stuff, already have some Megs #80 and #82, S100, etc. Anyway, I have a '67 Camaro that just had a (very expensive) paint job applied about a year ago. These cars have super sharp edges especially on the front fenders, and I've been warned its very easyto burn through the paint in these areas. If i look close I can see my painter didn't polish on the very top because there a tiny bit of orange peel. So my question is, the PC with an orange pad and at most maybe Megs #83, possible to burn through paint with normal amount of passes and pressure? I don't want to ruin a 5 figure $ paint job!

Bonus questions!!

How do I care for the pads and microfiber bonnets I bought with the PC?

Can I layer waxes? I've seen conflicting opinions about layering carnubas, "spit shine" method, etc. Whats the definitive answer? I've been thinking layering NXT paste and S100, or Nattys Blue with S100. The car is 96 Corvette Admiral Blue (on the Grand Sports), and I want tons of depth and the metallic to pop.

Can I use normal polish and waxes on my chrome bumpers (and other assorted chrome pieces) as well as my stainless trim? Or should I use a specific metal polish ? I have some NXT All metal polysh coming that I plan to use on my polished aluminum wheels.

I've tried using Mothers Back to Black a few times, and despise it...what is a good product to bring black trim to a nice dark satin finish?

Ok thats all I can think of, I start practicing with the PC next week on my parent's Expedition, I can't wait. I will post tons of pics, 5 cars in the family to make gleam!

:noes:

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You won't burn the paint with a PC (but I'd avoid using a cutting pad in those areas to avoid hazing that could be difficult to remove) so you will be fine.

You can layer waxes provided you give them at least a 24 hour cure time and wash the car before adding another layer, otherwise in hot weather, layering carnaubas one right after the other can cause them to rehaze.

Most polishes and waxes are fine on wheels and chrome.

Meguiars #38 Trim and Tire Gel is probably what you are looking for. You will need to find a local Meguiars pro distributor or find it online to get it.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ill answer for you one question at a time.

1: Any type of pinched body seam, or transition area from vertical to horizontal, the paint will be thinner then usual. On pinched body seams, especially verticle ones, you should be careful. The PC doesnt generate alot of heat, and probibly wouldent burn though, but you should still treat it like it could. And simply just transition quickly over the area, rather then risking it. Take the "better safe then sorry" approach. But generally speaking, as long as your smart, you should be fine.

2: Pad can be washed either with a dedicated pad cleaning solution (Justin here uses somthing he swears by, cant remember the name of it) where as scott and myself jsut use regular dish soap, and soak them. Then rince and them under water. Useing a kneeding and pinching motion. Then i like to place them on the floor, placed between an old bath towel, and step on the pad a couple times to wring it out. Then place it on a wire rack in front of a fan to dry.

2-B: Treat your MF bonnets in the same way you would treat your MF towels. Wash seperately with other MF towels, with free and clear detergent.

3: You can top a sealent with a wax. Such as Poorboys EX-P with S100 or Nattys. Or top NXT with S100. Topping S100 with Nattys...not so much. Topping a carnuba with a carnuba is somewhat pointless. Poeple usually top sealents, becuase sealents add shine, but not depth, so the carnuba is used as a topper to give it that wet luster.

4: You can certaintly top a chrome piece with a standard wax or sealent. I wouldent totally recmend useing a paint polich on a metal surface. Some products like Clearkotes Vanilla Moose can be used on chrome, but i find that a proper chrome polish will give better results. Then top it with a wax or sealent to give it some durability.

5: I use Poorboys Trim Restore, and it has yet to let me down. Really a fantastic product.

(saddly, i started typing this at 11:00am, and im just now posting it at 4:00pm, rofl)

4. DonTalarico

DonTalarico New Member

Thanks a lot Buck-O and Scott, answered everything great!