PC memory question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by abyssinianson, Jul 14, 2006.

1. abyssinianson

abyssinianson New Member

i've read fragments of this concept somewhere but is it true that XP cannot efficiently use more than 3GB of RAM installed in a system? If so, why? How can this roadblock in a system be removed?

The reason I am asking this is because I am in the process of planning a new PC system in anticipation of Intel's Conroe stuff coming out. Its been a while since I upgraded so I really don't know if the 3GB bottleneck applies to 975xx based systems at all. The mobo I am considering is an Asus P5WD2-E Premium and I was looking to load it with 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM. Now, the mobo specs note that it supports up to 8GB but I just need to make sure all the RAM I install can be used by the system. Reading an instance of a 3GB bottleneck in XP got me thinking because, if if it does indeed exist, I want to know before I purchase the PC components.

Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh. First of all, Intel > Asus... Get a genuine board.

Secondly, 3GB is the limitation with 32-bit windows.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Depending on what you're gonna be doing 4GB may actually slow you down. If all you're gonna be doing is gaming, get 2GB.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hell, with 2GB you can run a machine with no swapfile and never run out of memory. That's what I do.