pc liquide nitrogen cooling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Musaca, May 4, 2003.

1. Musaca

Musaca Guest

Ok, I've been doing some searching for a great way to cool computers. Fans for years have been the default, then came water coolers. With water coolers starting to sell, I started to wonder, if it would be possible to make a water cooler, that could hold liquide nitrogen?

With current water systems, no! As the plastic would crack with such cool temps. I'm not so sure about coper or metal. Does anyone know any kind of metal that could hold liquide nitrogen?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Well, they make those bottles for liquid nitrogen, so there must be some material that can hold it. Not sure what the inside of them is made of though :dunno:

3. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

I would be more concerned with the liquid nitrogen freezing components, and cracking them.

but i don't really know the technology.

4. Musaca

Musaca Guest

Google was not as helpful as I could have hoped, but that's what I'm thinking. The key would also be to make it possibley flexable, as not everyone's pc is the same size or shape.

@punkhondaboy, true, but they have things to hold such stuff & the outside does get cold, but not enough to crack anything. I guess you'd really have to crunch the math as to make it cold, but not to cold.

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

they already have nitrogen-cooled systems

6. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

most electronic components are designed to operate at or above freezing (liquid nitrogen is 77K) - unless they're military spec.

why the hell would you want to do this anyway?

7. Musaca

Musaca Guest

A working one, in a case? Link, details...

8. Mugatu

That ran at -40C, liquid nitrogen is about -200C - that's a hell of a difference.

And some things do run better at lower temperatures, but there is a limit :p

9. Mugatu

if you can do it more power to you :) - I just don't know why you'd want to :dunno:

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You could never stop it or the condensation would wreck everything.

11. Penguin Man

Yep, copper has much less resistance at lower temperatures, not sure about other metals.

12. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

you need a license to use liquid nitrogen, the set up would be ungodly expensive and you probably couldnt get your hands on any. just use fans or water.

13. HardTech

HardTech hungry

dude, I've been reading about nitrogen-cooled computer systems ever since I got into the computer scene like 5 years ago

I don't have any links, I just remember people doing it and getting some crazy results.

They operate it pretty much in a vacuum so condensation won't be a big problem.

I think you can supercool a computer down to about those levels. It'd make the PCB boards very brittle, so don't go dropping the computer, but as long as everything remains stationary, the really low temperatures shouldn't affect it unless the hard drive freezes after inactivity and then breaks..

14. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

thats what i was going to say, i'd be scared the woofer on my computer speakers would hit too hard and shatter the computer :eek: :eek:

15. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I saw some stuff in a magazine not too long ago(i think it was last month) about someone using Liquid nitrogen to overclock a P4 3.06 to 4GHz. Stably.

16. Musaca

Musaca Guest

Getting it is not a problem! :wavey:

Trying to keep things from getting wet, is though... Still looking into things & lord knows if I do it, I'll post picks, even if it works or not. No one would believe me otherwise. :rolleyes:

Keeping the pc stable, is also not a problem. It's the design I'm working on right now & trying to find the best way of doing this. I have few junk pc's to try it on first ... No way in hell would I do it first on a new pc, let alone a good one. lol

The main problem I'm runnning into is finding away to design something that could do much like what a water pump would do & also keeping things from getting wet, when they get cold.

17. XO

XO bee a honey

i saw a test that some college kid did one day. he basically sat a container full of liquid nitrogen directly on the processor and was able to hit 4ghz.

i don't remember what the processor was though

18. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Isnt there something in between, something controllable? It seems either fans/water --- liquid nitrogen!!1

There must be something in the middle that is usable

19. Penguin Man

Only readily-available thing I can think of between water and nitrogen is dry ice (-78C)... And I'm not sure how that would work (since it sublimes from a solid to a gas and the gas warms up quickly)... Might be some way though :dunno:

20. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Ok, but i dont think the actual liquid nitrogen has to be near any computer components.

Instead there could be an airflow system, and the air enters the computer case and gets immediatly cooled by a liquid nitrogen radiator ( :dunno: ), the very cool air then passes around the components and wont harm them.

You will still need a fan to force air into the case, unless it is designed much like mines were where the warm/used air flowing out the top of the case naturally forces fresh (normal temperature) air through the system.

A self powered cooling system :big grin:

21. HardTech

HardTech hungry

how about you encase the system in an acrylic box that is completely airtight.. before you seal it, try to get as much air out of there as possible. Also, you might want to caulk the CPU and RAM to make sure nothing condenses on there

and then put that in some nitrogen