PC keeps freezing up...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KoopaTroopa, Nov 3, 2004.

1. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

Everytime I try to rename one file, the PC always freezes up. It's only this one file. What's the problem? My PC is virus and spyware free.

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

You sure it's virus free and spyware free?

Run disk check, maybe you got a bad sector

when reboot, pretty F8, and select safe mode with command prompt. Then use DOS command to rename that file see if that works...

3. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

Well, I checked my PC with Norton Anti-virus and spy checked it was Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, and AOL spyware checker; all came back clean. Did a disk check too and still the same thing.

4. MP

MP New Member

what file are you trying to rename?

5. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

It's a .avi file. It's labeled a funny way and it's pissing me off. I said screw it, I erased the folder and redownloading the files again.

6. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Are you sure the file isn't being used while you're trying to rename it? Like, one of those "autoplay" situations when it is selected? Just a guess.

7. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

what version of windows are you using? the in use suggestion was a good one.

8. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed. I restarted the PC and tried to rename the file and the PC froze up again. That's when I said "F-- it", I deleted the files and started to redownload the files again. Also, when I right click anything in any folder, it takes like 30 seconds before the menu of options comes up, like refresh or play in Windows Media Player. That's a new thing that's been pissing me off too. I have 1 GB of DDR PC2700 RAM and almost 250 GB of free hard drive space between my two HDs. No viruses or spyware on it. I defragmented, check disked, did a registry check, and whatever else Norton Systemworks offers.

9. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

boot off of your windows CD and run a windows repair, that will take you back down to base xp or sp1, depending on which cd you have...it might be a problem with sp2...the slowing down should stop if you run a windows repair.

oh and by windows repair, I mean boot off the cd, push enter to continus, f8 to accept, and after it finds your installation of windows, push R to repair

10. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa OT Supporter

I had the same problem when I had SP1 and did a windows repair too. I installed SP2 to see if it would fix it, but it's the same thing. I've had no problems with SP2 so far. But I'll problem do the repair again.

11. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

starting to sound more and more like hardware...you have two sticks of ram or one? if two, take one out, if it still does it, switch them, if only one stick, try it in ther other slot...if it still does it, try another piece of ram if you can.