PC isnt working for me..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SoySauciAl, Sep 7, 2006.

1. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

the pc isnt really working out for me removing flaws and scratches. i even upgraded pads to the medium cut purple meguiar pads, which seems to work excellent for 2-3 cars but then just becomes too soft and useless for cutting. and sometimes, if i press too hard on the surface, it leaves this area of haze which then i have to polish out by hand.

my friend showed me his rotary and omg! that thing was amazing! he did a hood of a piece of shit car with tons of scratches and blemishes, etc.. couple of passes with a wool pad & 3m rubbing compound, then follow up with a finishing pad and light polish and made the hood looking like new from a piece of shit (besides the chips). the thing is i already spend over $100 on the pc and dont feel like spending another $200 on a rotary. am i doing something wrong with the pc? maybe i should try different pads? wool pad on a pc? i've been hearing a lot that you cant burn paint with the pc, maybe because your not even cutting the paint?

2. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

jeez! you are right! i was using ssr2.5 and it didnt do anything but left a haze behind! then i just picked up some 3m medium compound and got out a lot of flaws plus no haze.. left a very good shine too! 3M rocks!! nothing else for now on!

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

While I congratulate on your success, I've gotta advise against becoming close-minded to new or other products. I used to be a Zaino sackrider but after seeing what other products such as Sonus and Poorboys can do, I broadened my horizons and now try to experiment with new products. Each car is unique in terms of it's polishing/glazing/sealing/waxing needs so to be best prepared, you'll want a varied arsenal of products and know when to use them...that, you can only learn by actually trying them out.

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I recemend you read some of the other threads on how to properly use a PC.
    Obviously you are not letting the product cut enough, and are working far to fast.

Useing a rotory with a wool pad, when you cant even use a PC correctly, is ntohing but a recipie for disaster.

Learn small, and learn to do it right, and learn what products do what, when, and how.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Please describe exactly how you are using your PC, there may be something in your technique we can help you with so you get better results.

Obviously, a rotary will give faster results but if you don't know what you are doing with one, faster results can equal burnt paint or deep swirls.

6. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Well.. for polishing i use a yellow meguiar pad with a light polish like optimum polish.. some pressure but not enough to get your arms tired and the speed about 10 seconds to cover a foot of area, speed 5 or 6.

But to get out a scratch.. i tried everything before using ssr2.5 and 3m perfect it compound. going very slow and putting a lot of pressure onto it passing it quite a few times.. left to right then up and down.. then i tried left to right x2, up and down x2, tried x3, then random passes, and eventually i got pissed and just left it on one area for like 5-10 seconds barely moving it.. thats when it left a haze behind which i removed by hand with polish. it got out very minor stuff and it took a long time, just though there gotta be a faster way. It even takes a while to take out a scuff.

Thats when i picked up a bottle of 3m medium cut rubbing compound and it worked much better and quicker. Took out the scratches almost completely above the door handles, scratches on the side, a fairly deep scratch on the hood with some time, and cleaned up the scuff mark on the bumper like it was nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2006
  7. Scottwax

A Cyclo is a faster polisher but being a DA/RO polisher like the PC, it has its limits. I'd do what you did, experiment with different polishes and compounds, sometimes what works well on one car is completely ineffective on another.

Just FYI, if a scratch catches your fingernail, it ain't going to buff completely out. Ever.

8. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

get rid of the edges and get it smoothed out and it'll be hardly noticeable.

9. Scottwax

Pretty much what I had to do with my own car. Mechanically it had been well taken care of but not cosmetically. :sad2: