PC in you car???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Quick, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Quick

Quick Guest

anyone over thought about putting a pc into our car?

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Mer...ode=MV&Product_Code=COMPGX1&Category_Code=MPC

but, id get one of these monitors..

http://www.posworld.com/elotoucscree.html

and put this in the driver side sun visor..

http://www.ergo-2000.com/ergo2000/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=603&CATID=36

i cut my a/c vents out already..
    [​IMG]

and i had a 7.1 widescreen..
    [​IMG]

but im thinking. 15inches in the dash. touchscreen with tmobile wireless interent. ive seen 15inch in trucks before, but you think its too big for the car?

2. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

D man go for it! 15" would rock!

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

4. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Guest

my friend has a pc in his kia it works nice.

if you know alot about pc's tehre is a few ways to go about it.. all he did was put a mobo and a power invertor w/ some sort of convertos from vga to rca or something not sure, but when it was all said n done it worked nicely.. got a mini kb had the glove box open and covered it w/ the kb and had a usb mouse.

decent setup just gotta play with it.

I have 2 shuttle pc's they are nice if u wanted to put one in yoru car, but for your toyota it would be to big unless u mounted it in the trunk and wut not.. but i dunno

5. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

I have an iPaq mounted in my dash as well. Use it for GPS mostly. Storing phone numbers, Appointments, web pages...

Works good for me. Although I have thought about a custom PC install strictly for DVD/TV on the go. It can be done for much cheaper than you think. Only expensive part is the screen...

6. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I did it; using little 4" LCDs in the visor of my former civic. only cost me $500 total, and that included an LCD interface exclusive to winamp. one thing you've gotta look out for though is overheating. in FL, the CPU averaged 148F in the summer if the car's been parked for a few hours. :eek:

oh, and I used a mini ITX mobo, about 1" larger than a CD case, along with a 450watt power supply, a cheap $30 power inverter from walmart, and a custom box that worked as a footrest for the passengers in the back seat. I kept it out of the trunk for fear that the subs would cause the HD to crash with all the vibration.

now that my civic's byebye I'm looking for a way to mount it in the glove box of my new ranger, but some issues with one of my amps overheating at low to no volume is really fucking with my system as a whole, as in I can't get a steady current when the stereo's on, and I'm afraid it'll fuck up the PC to the point where I don't even want to test it out yet :wtc:

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I had a PC in my car.. was actually a laptop used with a scan convertor and a 6.5" in-dash HU.

Wasn't that great. Used it for about a month before I lost interest. Picture quality wasn't the best, got sick of trying to read winamp, etc. It was cool at times, annoying at others.

Used it for GPS too, which also didn't work every well.. and as Biomechanoid said.. you have to think of cooling. Laptop was always locking up because of overheating.

Check out mp3car.com.

8. MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79 New Member

I got a 10" touchscreen in my dash... :eek3:

I gotta finish it tho. Having 30gigs of aac's is real nice for the long journeys. Datacomguy is right, mp3car.com is great for learning about this sorta thing.