PC Help... Power Supply Gone Bad???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I having a problem with my girlfriends computer. When working in Windows XP or or online, the machine randomly reboots itself. It will turn itself back on for a few seconds and then off again, then back on like it's studdering and then eventually (hopefully) back on again.

I think the power supply is the problem. Any other ideas?

I just formatted the machine the other day and had it turned on for about two days straight without a problem. Now all of a sudden, it's re-setting itself randomly.

The RAM and hard drive are fairly new, so I don't suspect that to be the problem. The only other things in there are a CD-RW drive, modem, video, and a USB expansion card.

Any ideas???

CM.

2. MP

MP New Member

process of elimination

best way is to get a known working computer and one by one test each piece of hardware.

PLug the psu into another computer....if it runs fine that should tell you it's NOT the psu. Same goes for all the other hardware. Just eliminate each piece as you go.

IT could be a large number of things unfortunatly (temp, psu, ram, agp, mobo, cpu even).

a good idea is to figure out which mobo the computer has and see if there is a utility for it that shows the system stats. Most mobo manufacturures will have something. They usually show temps, fan speeds, voltages (what you should look at in your case),

3. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

CPU could be overheating, and there could be the setting where when it gets to a certain temp, it shuts off. Check this in the BIOS.

As Rapture said, process of elimination...

4. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Run MBM5(motherboard monitor 5), check power supply voltages, post here.

Or, do you have a multimeter? You can get a much more accurate voltage reading with that

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks, I'll check all those tonight. I'm almost certain it will be the power supply, and I bought a power supply tester and a replacement power supply just in case.

I'll let everyone know tomorrow...

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ok, according to the power supply tester, the current power supply checked out fine.

I flashed the BIOS and removed a USB expansion card I didn't really need anyway. Just to play around more, I changed the transfer settings on the IDE controllers from 'DMA if available' to 'PIO'.

So far so good...

But my question....

From the BIOS my CPU temp is at 97*F. Is there a general range it should be in?? The BIOS also has an alert setting where it would slow down the machine or even shut it down if it got to a certain temp. The highest alert setting was almost 180*F, so I think I'm ok.

BTW, it's a PIII Socket 370 600mhz

Thanks,

CM.

7. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

97F is just fine. When it gets up to like 140-150F then you need to start checking it out.