pc help plz

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by exxoizzle, Jul 28, 2005.

1. exxoizzle

exxoizzle Free mustache rides

my processor is supposed too run at 1.9 ghz but every time i try to set it to over 1.3 in the BIOS it keeps restarting and not being able to start or it can give me the blue screen of death . someone told me its b/c it loads so fast it dosent check all the settings properly but since im no comp wiz i dunno what that means. any help?

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

do you have the FSB set at the right setting?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What kind of processor is it? AMD or Intel? AMDs don't actually run at the speed they say they do; the speed they say is just a comparison with Intel processors. I have an AMD Athlon 3000+ that is really 2.13GHz; the 3000 just means I'd need a 3GHz Intel to get the same performance.

Other possibilities:

-It could be the motherboard can't handle the full speed of the processor you have.

-It could be the combination of Bus Speed and Clock Multiplier is wrong. You can't increase the Bus Speed past what the motherboard says it can handle without causing problems.

-It could be the processor is defective and can't run at full speed without messing up.

In any case, the reason a higher speed would cause problems is because the processor simply isn't made well enough to handle the faster changes in electricity, and so it starts messing up its calculations and the computer crashes.

4. exxoizzle

FSB? like i said im not that good when it comes 2 computers

5. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Even a athlon xp1900 should still run at 1.6ghz...

The front side bus, its ussually the speed that the ram runs at also.

Basically you get Xghz by the processor being so many times faster then the FSB.

So if you have a fsb of 266mhz (which that processor should), you get 1.6ghz by haveing 6.0 mutliplier.

So check the bios settings for a FSB speed of 266 and a multiplier of 6.0

6. exxoizzle

any way to fix this

7. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

You can, its called overclocking you processor. Usually you need a bigger heat sink and fan to deal with the extra heat.

However, your processor should still be able to run at 1.6 without and issues.

What kind of motherboard and ram do you have?

8. exxoizzle

btw thks for all the help guys

9. exxoizzle

i jhave 512 ram but i dunno what type of motherboard. any way to find out w/o opening up my pc?

10. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Not easily, just pop the side of the case off, it should be written on it somewhere in small letters.

Was this a hp, dell, or similar store bought computer, or is it a white box? Doesn't really apply to store boughten computers as much, then the model number itself would suffice.

11. exxoizzle

me and my dad built it. lemme c what the name of the motherboard is gimme a min..

12. deusexaethera

No, there is no way to fix it. When you overclock a processor, you tell it to run faster than it can safely handle, and you hope that the tiny wires and transistors inside the chip can handle turning on and off faster than the factory tested them for. The only difference between a 2GHz processor and a 3GHz processor (for example) is that the 3GHz processor "got lucky" when it was made and the circuits work better. Of course, there are fewer processors that get made really well, which is why they cost more at first until the company gets better at making them.

As far as your problem is concerned, it's probably one of two things: either the processor got damaged after the company tested it, and so it doesn't work as well as it used to, or the board you're putting it onto can't handle the extra speed. The only way to tell is to get the user manual for the motherboard, and check if it can use a processor as fast as the one you bought. If it can't, the board is too old; if it can, the processor is broken.

If you've had both parts for a long time and it just now stopped working, then all I can say is it got old and broke. You'll have to get new parts in that case.

13. deusexaethera

Let's not go and guess at the specs. Let's wait until we have solid numbers before we start telling him what the settings should be.

14. exxoizzle

i thk its a Nvida nforce 2 motherboard

15. deusexaethera

Hrm. I don't think NVidia makes motherboards. They DO make the built-in video that's attached to the board, though. All I really need to know is:

-Does it use AMD or Intel processors?
    -Is the motherboard new?
    -Is the processor new?

If the first answer is "AMD", then the lower speed is probably normal. Like I said before, AMD processors run slower than they say they do, but they're supposed to do that; it's the way they're made. If the answer is "Intel", then read the next paragraph.

If the last two answers are both "Yes", then you need to read the manual for the motherboard and make sure there aren't any jumpers you need to change to make the processor work right. If there are no jumpers that need changing, send the processor back and get it replaced.

If the second or third answer is "No" (it doesn't matter which one), then the old part either burned out or is just too slow. You'll have to replace it to make the computer work right.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  16. exxoizzle

itsa a AMD processor. the board is probably a year and a half old, same with the processor

17. deusexaethera

In that case, something just gave up and died on you. Time for new parts.

AMD processors are REALLY picky about being installed and removed and installed again. Because the chip isn't protected at all, it's really easy to crack it when you move the heatsink around. There really isn't any way to avoid this problem; that's why the new Athlon 64 processors have the same metal cover that Intel processors have.