PC Help-freezes only w/ certain programs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by paul9luap, Oct 13, 2005.

1. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

Setup

P4 2.6GHz Northwood
    MSI 648F Neo http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=648F_Neo-L&class=mb
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (installed a month ago)
    BFG nVidia 6600GT OC (installed over the summer)
    Aspire 500W PS (installed over the summer)
    120 GB HD
    160 GB HD (Have had both harddrives for over 2 years)
    XP Pro

The motherboard, CPU and hard drives are original to when I built the computer, summer 2003.

Problem:

Starting about a week ago, my computer would just randomly freeze. It could be at any time. Sometimes immediately after I would log into windows, or it could be after it had been idle for an hour and refuse to "wake up." It pretty much seemed completely random.

By the end of the weekend, it started to happen every time I logged into windows. It would instantly freeze and I'd have to restart, and when I would re-log into windows, it would freeze again.

So, I thought maybe the hard drive that windows was installed on was going bad (120gb), so I installed windows onto the other hard drive (160gb), and reformatted the 120gb one using Partition Magic 8.0. I had to run Partition Magic several times because the first few times, it would say it couldn't format it, that there was an error, but it eventually did it successfully.

Several days went by with no problems so I thought I was in the clear and it was just the 120gb that was bad..... until about an hour ago. I started to play MS Flight Simulator 2004 and low and behold, same problem. the instant I click on the icon to load it, it freezes. I've had that game for over a year and no problems.

I'm pretty confused as to what the problem is. I can run 3dmark05 with no problems, SuperPI, SandraLite benchmarking....all with no problems. All temps are normal, CPU runs around 30C at idle and 40C under full load.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  2. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

Try a different power supply. Run memtest. It's hard to diagnose a problem like that because it's so intermittent. much easier if you could reproduce it at will.

3. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

I ran the memtest, everything looks good there.

As far as power, I'm wonder if 500W isn't enough. Since I have the 6600GT OC AGP, it has a power connecter. My sound card also has a power connecter. So with 2 hard drives, a CD-RW drive, a DVD-ROM and 4 fans, perhaps I'm cutting it too close...

I had a 400W earlier in the summer, but that crapped out on me.