PC guy needs help installing OS X

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IllAvBIll, Nov 10, 2005.

1. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

Okay, my friend wants me to fix his mac powerbook g4 for him. I don't know anything about macs i'm a PC guy. I have an OS X install disk but it is a version older than the one installed on his laptop. He bought the laptop from one of his shady friends and nobody knows any of the passwords. I put the disk in and hold C when it restarts and it tells me that i need to restart my computer. I do that and it tells me to do it again etc. It never ends!

Can i safely boot it into the unix prompt and format the HDD and then boot the computer into the OS x install? DAMN MACS :squint: they do look cool tho. Anybody know what the hell i can do to get this installed?!?

Thanks

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Sorry man, I've never had to install OS X clean.

3. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I dont think you can install an older version than what came on the machine.

4. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

if i remember correctly to boot into Unix shell it's command-option-o-f

good luck

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

The OSX cd, depending on the version, comes on a DVD. If his G4 doesn't have a DVD drive it won't allow you to boot from it.

I don't know if you can load the OS through a "target boot". That is, connect 2 Macs together with a firewire cable, and while holding down "T" on laptop in this case, boot up. You'll get a firewire symbol on screen. Now boot up the other Mac and you will see the laptops drive as a firewire icon on the desktop. Run the newest OSX installer from the other Mac and set it to install onto the laptops drive.

I've never tried it, but it sounds plausible.

6. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

Okay. Thanks for your help guys. I figured out the problem. I had fixed macs for people before that i didn't have the PW and just held C when booting it to get it to load from the CD. The version of OS x he gave me was 10.2.4 CD version 1.0 When i read the "read this before you install.pdf" lol it said it would work on an iBook. I was wrong when i said powerbook, the laptop is an iBook G4 and the pdf didnt mention this computer so i assume thats why it wouldn't install. He actually gave me 3 computers to fix for him and it(os x from the CD) installed fine on the iBook (not G4). So i guess he has to buy another version of OS X to install on the other Laptop.

The two other computers i need to fix for him are the iBook G4 and i have a Dual Processor G5 (sweet ass computer by the way) but he is selling it and needs to do a clean install but he doesn't have a CD for OS X anymore. The installed version is a server version of OS X.

Do you guys know what version of OS X i would need to buy to install it on both the iBook G4 and the G5? And does Mac do the authentication BS that MS does for an OS install or could i get away with buying one copy and just installing it on each machine? Or do i have to buy a seperate copy for each machine? Thanks alot Macs confuse me lol.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Didn't have the passwords? :hsugh:

8. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

:o

9. samm

samm Next in Line

Go buy a copy of Tiger at your local Apple store. In theory, you should buy one copy for each computer. They sell a family pack for multiple computer licenses at a discount.

10. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

Cool. We ordered tiger 10.4.3 on ebay earlier today so it should work