PC Games dissapearing?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Darketernal, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I need a decent explanation on why PC games are dissapearing, very long time ago i bought FF8 for pc, FF9,10,11 where never brought out on pc, call of duty3 and 4 not, but call of duty 2 yes? , and another game, my question is why do gaming companies suddenly step down from PC and solemnly produce for consoles only?

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

um because consoles sell more games because they are easier to own and work all the time and you don't have to fiddle with drivers and stuff. cod 3 was made by a different company than cod2. cod4 is made by the same people that made cod2 and will come out on pc.

consols are also easier to make games for. when companies are optimising the games for the systems. if it is a consol game then everyone has the exsact same setup aka garenteed to work. on pc there is very rarely 2 computers the excact same so it takes more work to get it all running smothly.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

IMO many companies believe the market for console games is bigger and their barriers to entry are smaller. However, games like WOW, Oblivion and others have shown that there are huge dollars available in the PC market if the games are well done.

I don't think PC games will ever disappear completely but I do wish there was more diversity.

4. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

It's a lot easier to produce a game for a closed system than an open one like PC's. When working with fixed hardware code can be written for optimum usage of the hardware saving time on testing, further patches and fix.

It's all about costs and perceived market share.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Tnx everyone for the info =\ , it was really unobvious to me why this was the case, since games are made on pc's i was thinking distribution on them would be the easiests.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Consoles are consistent. Doesn't matter if they're wasteful of resources; if you're writing a game, you want to write it for a console, because that way you know it will work right every single time.

Kinda sucks though. Consoles just don't have the diversity of control surfaces that PCs have.

7. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

I hate it when they make it for both and dumb down the interface for the PC version to cater for the console market. Like Oblivion for example.

8. danza

danza New Member

company of hereos 2 son!!

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

And Raven Shield.

10. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

11. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member