PC for a Client

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oz02, Apr 22, 2005.

1. oz02

oz02 New Member

I have a client/friend who wants me to build him a PC. He wants the best PC physically possible :rolleyes: (CPU, mobo, graphic card, sound card etc) and he's rich so he's willing to pay anything for it. I'm more of a programmer though, and I've never built a PC before, so I need a little help.

What I have so far.

I know I need some more cooling solutions, but I have no clue what to go for. If someone could point me in the right direction for fans etc, as well as any improvements that you think would make this PC better that would be great.

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

hey a 10K desktop, I would suggest a bj port for that kind of dough

I would probably opt for a 10,000 rpm hd and the one you picked out as a storage hd

As far as fans go, you will need something like this (i would use 2) with that processor (prescott).

3. oz02

oz02 New Member

As for the 10000 rpm hard drive, they all have SCSI (if thats what its called?) interfaces and I'm not sure if that goes with the mobo (it seems to me that the mobo has only SATA and ATA ports). Like I said, I'm pretty new at this so I don't know much.

So you think two fans are enough? I know the case comes with a few, but this baby is going to be used for some high-end gaming as well as a hell of a lot of video editing etc, so it could get pretty warm.

More suggestions would be great.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Well if you want to keep the system really cool, and quiet, then forget fans and go with water cooling.

Forget that HP DVD Burner and get the NEC ND-3520A
    Beige $49.99 or Black $49.99
    Besides being a price saver, also a much better product
    Hell get 2 of them, replacing the DVD-ROM. Why? Hell why not.
    Or get one of the NEC and one Lite-On DVD SOHW 1673 (or in black). The Lite-On preforms a bit better than the NEC in some areas of burning where the NEC does better in others (I think mostly in the dual-layer burning area). Never know when having 2 burners can come in handy.

I didn't see a video card listed, but then I don't think Newegg sells the BFG nVidia 6800 Ultras with 512MB of RAM. And on that note if money really no object, then get a mobo that supports SLI (ASUS makes a few, but for AMD [better choice IMHO]) and get 2 of those cards. Here is a GigaByte with 2 PCI-E 16x slots for SLI support and it's an Intel socket 775

5. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

Forget Intel, he obviously needs it for gaming. Get either one of those new Venice core Athlons, or maybe even a dual-core. Get SLI, two 6800 Ultras, with a nice nforce 4 DFI motherboard. You don't REALLY need more than a gig of ram, but you could give him 2 if you want. Buy high-quality PC3200 dual channel packs, anything with low stock timings. Can't make any recommendations right now, I'm not up on my ram. Have a couple 74gig raptors in raid 0, and one or two high-capacity sata drives (16mb buffer, maybe NCQ?) for storage. To cool the processor, I'd recommend a zalman 7700-cu (make sure the motherboard is compatible!) with Arctic Silver 5 as the thermal compound, although I heard that there's actually one better than that. You could put a couple NV5 silencers on those cards if you want. For the power supply, I'd get anything from x-connect rated at over 500W, and try to get a high amperage on the +12V rail. The case is your choice, but I'd go for something quieter with a few nice quiet case fans, since that's nicer than a big overclock in my opinion.

edit: Yeah you could do watercooling too, but I'm assuming that you wouldn't know how to set that up and he wouldn't either. Not something I'd mess around with, but your choice. I also forgot about the other drives. The nec-3520 is the best I've seen yet, and cheap to boot. A flash card/floppy drive sounds good, too. I don't know anything about sound cards or speakers.

6. oz02

oz02 New Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

How exactly does water cooling work? If you could point me in the drection of some info that would be great. What would you reccomend on Newegg for water cooling?

I dropped the HP burner and picked up the NEC and the Lite-On. Thanks for pointing that out. I also switched to the black version of the case (may as well make eveything match).

For the video card I have the PNY Quadro FX3400 256MB DDR PCI-Express x16 Video Card (3 rows down). SLI gives support for the BFG nVidia 6800 Ultras with 512MB of RAM? The best thing for me wuld be to stay with Newegg, but if you think that with SLI support and 2 video cards (that is what you're talking about, right?) then I'll go for that.

Again, any more suggestions would be great.

7. oz02

oz02 New Member

gaybutsex: So you suggest going with an Athlon processor? I've always used intel, so I need some help there if possible.

I also want to give him the most RAM possible since he works with a lot of video rendering etc that sucks up the RAM.

So its better to go with the low capacity hard drives for performance?

You don't think my current case & power supply is good? What should I upgrade to?

Thanks, keep em coming.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the floppy drive I'll add that right away.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all, most watercooling setups are LOUDER than fans. Water cooling is not for quietness, but is rather for effectiveness regarding heat transfer.

Ultimate machine would be limitless (there's always something better) But best machine that you could actually use to play a game would be along the lines of an SMP Xeon setup (likely 4+) or Opterons, with 16GB+ of RAM, then a RAID array with 15k drives, etc, etc.

Honestly his request is bullshit. You can build me your best system, and I will one-up it on paper -- it never ends. Get some parameters.

9. oz02

oz02 New Member

Well he gave me an idea of what he wanted, and thats how I got what I have so far. Maybe I'm wrong in my way of stating it - he wants a PC thats the best possible for high-end gaming, video rendering and all that stuff that doesn't need to be upgraded for some time. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

What I have so far again for those who missed it.

EDIT: It doesn't have to be too quiet, I just don't want to run into problems with overheating etc.

10. I would totally go with two western digital 74gb raptor. raid those together, can't beat the set up.

11. oz02

oz02 New Member

Ok, I switched to 2 wd raptors at 10000rpm and got rid of one of the 200gb seagates.

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

IMO Raid on a Desktop is useless. stick with the one Raptor as the boot drive, then just a large 7.2K drive as storage. Also that videocard you listed is for 3d modeling, etc. It wont hold up very well in games. Is the computer going to be used moreso for games, or video/3d modeling/etc?

13. oz02

oz02 New Member

So you're saying I should switch out one of the raptors and pull in a 400gb or so hd? What does everyone else think about this idea?

Oh, and the PC is not used for 3D modeling as much as it is used for regular video rendering (ie Adobe Premiere). He will be using it for gaming and video rendering the most, so I'm not worried about 3D modeling. What video card do you suggest?

14. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

very true, what you need is to set down a specific purpose and scope. It sounds like you want to build a high end video editing and gaming pc, if thats the case then next define some specifics as far as scope. How much storage, how many processors, etc. Honestly I would buy a solid video card, 4 gigs of ram, a wd raptor and a large storage hd, a 939 socket athlon 64 etc. Spend the money on a slick dlp projector and screen.

15. gaybutsex

gaybutsex New Member

2 gigs of faster ram>4 gigs of slow ram
    I'm referring to dual channel ability and timings.

16. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

not true for most parts. there is very little difference between ram with 2-2-2-5 timings, and 2.5-3-3-8. You will be able to overclock the first more but if kept stock its not worth the money to go for the extremely expensive ram.

17. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I don't see how a 32-bit processor fits the bill for "the best PC physically possible."

Edit: Also, if you're going to blow 11k on a workstation, at least make it a Sun or an SGI or something good like that :hsugh:

18. oz02

oz02 New Member

Have you even looked at what I have so far? That is what he wants. I just want to know what to go with to improve what I have already just so that its efficient, runs smoothly and will give him the best runtime possible. If you think that a different processor is better then thats fine, just try and point out to me why its better and give me a link to it. Thats all I'm asking.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  19. oz02

oz02 New Member

^^Bump^^