PC + Digital TV = ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CRXican, Dec 7, 2003.

1. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

Is it possible to use say a 30" Digital TV as the monitor for a PC? Would the PC need anything special to make the picture work? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You'd need a video card with a TV Out. But I think the quality would suck.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If the TV has a DVI input that's PC compatible, then all you need is a video card with DVI out. Otherwise, if your TV is HDTV capable and has component inputs, you could use a VGA-to-Component transcoder along with a free piece of software called powerstrip. Powerstrip adds resolutions that are compatible with HDTV timings. Transcoders cost $100-$200. Some ATI radeons support HDTV resolutions without the help of powerstrip and can be conected via their component adapter. http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/index.html

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

fine for watching movies from your PC but you would not want a TV for a monitor - it would look horrible

5. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

For those of you that say it would look horrible what experience do you have? According to the link provided by skinjob, ATI says the following:

"Provides a big screen experience for your entertainment PC that is ideal for gaming, surfing the Internet, watching DVDs and more. Watch TV, play video games, watch DVDs, and even surf the net!

The HDTV Component Video Adapter provides the highest quality, lowest cost method to deliver component output to your HDTV or component video display. With both progressive and interlaced formats supported in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i, you can get a sharp image on any component video display."

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If you do it properly it would not look horrible. We have a Pioneer Elite RP HDTV at home and I have hooked my computer up to it.I only got 640x480, but it looked perferct. It is not lilke the old days of hooking it up through SVIDEO which absoltuley looked like shit.

I still want to play around with it and get some of the higer resolutions to work.

7. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

I was talking to one of the IT guys at work and he uses a 32" Sony as his monitor so I figured it couldn't look too bad. I really like the Samsung 21.3" LCD but I can't bring myself to spend that much on a computer monitor so I figured if the digital TV would work I wouldn't feel so bad spending $1200 on a 30" Widescreen TV instead.

Also, how did you go about hooking your PC up to the TV, what inputs did you use? And by chance do you know where I can look at that TV online?

8. Mugatu

I've hooked up a lot of PCs to TVs for gaming (esp. old games and MAME stuff).

Unless it's an HDTV or it's built to also be a monitor then it's gonna suck - TVs are very low resolution

9. Mugatu

I just used the s-video outputs on the video card (most laptops also have this) and you can either use your normal speakers or get a cable that converts the headphone jacks on your PC to RCA jacks that your TV uses and use your TV's speaker (or your stereo's)

10. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

go to avsforums.com and just read. Read until you have no more questions.