PC Crew... Need help! System upgrade problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Saks, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Saks

Saks Active Member

Jul 13, 2004
    About 5 days ago i purchased a new CPU, Mobo, Ram, HD to finally get around to upgrading my system.

C2D E8400

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

OCZ 4-GB DDR2 1066

and Seagate Barracuda 250GB HD

I was planning on using my XP Home CD and use the Vista Home Basic Upgrade.

Here is my problem, When the pc is initializing XP and just about to go to the screen to format my HD and all, i get A Critical error message, saying it stopped the install to prevent damage to my PC b/c of either a driver issue, a HD space Issue, BIOS issue... (Ill try to get a screen shot of the message)

I get the same message when i trie to do the same thing to my older 80GB sata HD ive been using for the past 2 years.

i booted up everything off of the older 80gb HD and the preinstalled XP works fine but with some errors due to the hardware changes, to see if the mobo/cpu were fine.

Im not sure if the issue is of what components im using and XP's inability to recognize and set up the install... or if i would just be better off returning the upgrade dvd and getting the full version of vista.

Or if a piece of my hardware is just fucked.

or if my version of XP could be fucked now too... not sure

it has 2 or 3 smaller scratched on it, but i wouldnt think that would be the cause

anyhelp, Thanks!
  2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Feb 15, 2006