PC Cooling Question & Critique

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LBZ, Aug 31, 2005.

1. LBZ

LBZ Not Me = Not a problem

I'm putting together a new computer and I am trying to figure out the cooling set up. My case has the normal fan locations - 2 in front 2 in back. But there is also 1 on the side panel and 1 in the top.

I replaced the 420w PSU the Case came with w/ a 550w, but it's larger and covers half the hole for the top fan, so I'm just gonna cover that w/ a mesh screen.

That being said my plan is to have a fan in front drawing air in and 1 in the rear blowing air out. I am not sure what to do w/ the fan on the side - should it be drawing air in or blowing out? On a side note, I am not using the generic CPU heat sink and fan. I'm using a Thermaltake Heatsink w/ a 120mm fan (I'm praying it fits - the thing is huge).

PC Hardware is as follows (haven't select any mem yet but plan on installing 4 gigs - recommendations on brand would be appreciated)

Intel Pentium 4 3.4E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478

ABIT IC7-G MAXII Socket 478 Intel 875P ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100600SR Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

HP Black 16X DVD+R 4X DVD+RW 2.4X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 4X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 70SB035000003 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

2. Abit

Abit This isn't a morality contest

4 gigs of ram is way overkill. Id get 1 gig that overclocks well and a 7800gtx.

I don't think cooling that will be an issue at all anyways.

3. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

Few tips about PC, caseds and cooling...

Airflow is important in a PC case, but its even more importanmt that it flows THROUGH the components you want to cool. Just circulating air through your PC case is not very effective if it doesnt run through the components you want to cool. Air should flow through/over/on the PCI cards, over the CPU etc..

It is also important to let the air out of the case.

However, note - a (personal/home - usually single CPU) PC (rather than a server) needs less cooling.

If you have a thermaltake fan for the CPU (it will most likely fit, even though its looks huge), make sure its on max speed. CPU cooling is the most important part of the cooling.

If you have a big PSU and it blocks one of the other fans, not a big problem. Make sure that the intake and outtake fans you can fit in, are on opposite faces of the case (or at least far away from eachother as possible) so that there is a healthy airflow through the entire case.

The exact specs of your PC are not very important. If you have a very hot graphics card, you can put an extra fan on that one, but its usually not very important. Other than that, you will be ok.