PB Delivered! Some questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Aug 15, 2005.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just noticed my Powerbook was delivered. I can't wait until I get off work. :hsd:

1. Virtual PC will be one of the first programs I'm installing. Any tips or anything I should know before I install it? Even though there aren't many programs I'll be using it for, I'd like to get it running as good as possible so the programs I do run, run stable.

2. Movie viewing and codecs. With WinXP, there's a codec pack I download and install so I can view any movie. Do I need to do this with OSX?

3. What is the best CD and DVD burning software for OSX. I'm used to using Nero on XP.

4. DVD Player?

5. Any other tips a 10 year PC user should know? :hs:

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'm sure I will as the day goes on.

2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

1. I've never used it.

2. All I've downloaded was teh Divx codec from their site. EDIT: I've also downloaded MPlayer and VLC... Those are both pretty good. I would also download the official Windows Media player for Mac so you can watch the newer videos (they don't seem to play in VLC) Maybe I just need to update that.

3. The built in utilities work well enough for me. There is a program called Toast that I hear is pretty good.

4. It's in your /Applications folder

5. Have fun :eek5:

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

What's the best torrent client?

4. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

azureus and tomato torrent both work pretty well.

as for #2, if you want to play any type of video, you should have wmp, quicktime (which is already installed), and vlc player. VLC can play many types of codecs (divx,xvid), it works great as the default player for .avi.

5. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

1. Runs fine, just slow. I find that when I need to do something under Windows, I end up VNCing to my Winders desktop instead of running it under VPC. Not always an option to VNC and I don't like not having the Sabermetric Encyclopedia near by. :big grin:

2. Just download VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ) and use it for most of your media files. You'll probably want to download the most recent version of Windows Media Player also.

3. I just use Finder to burn. :dunno:

4. Built in, or use VLC.

5. I'd find a quick Unix tutorial and familiarize yourself with the Unix file structure. OS X doesn't mirror it perfectly, but it'll probably help ya... There ain't no C:\ under OS X/Unix. Also, the concept of how disks, drives, network drives, etc. is different than Windows. :big grin:

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

What about CD to CD copying?

Any good map software? Something comparable to MS's Streets & Trips?

7. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

8. rpark

rpark New Member

I believe disk utility will handle that.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

1. I, too, haven't used VPC.
    2. I've never downloaded a codec for my machine. I just have Quicktime, VLC, MPlayer and Media Player. If one of those doesn't work, I just don't watch the movie.
    3. I use Finder to burn my stuff. iTunes will burn CD's and it works great for me. DVD burning is easy too, but I haven't done it yet.
    4. DVD Player will already be installed
    5. Go into it with an open mind. You may not understand a few things right away but once you do, you'll love how easy it is to use.

10. tenplanescrashing

If and when I do CD to CD copying, I just tell iTunes to import the songs as WAV files, saved them to a different directory and burn that folder to the disk as an audio cd.

Never used any map software. check the apple website to see what they offer.

11. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

am i going to be the first one to congratulate you? congrats man on the lappy :) take care of it and once you go expose you dont go back ;)

12. verbal

verbal Active Member

I really like the whole expose idea BUT...

..it would be better if it was all open applications, even if their minimized.

I was playing with it yesterday and couldn't get the apps to show because I had them all minimized. I'm in a habit of minimizing everything, I never leave the screen cluttered. If It showed every application running no matter what it would be more useful to me.

13. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

The trick to using expose effectively is do not minimize anything. This way when you hit F9 you will see all open applications. What I have done is gone into system preferences -> expose & dashboard, and changed the "All Windows" key from "F9" to "fn". This way I don't have to reach across the keyboard to hit F9. Try this and you will love it.

I had my first mac for almost a year before I even knew about expose, so you are way ahead of me already.

14. verbal

verbal Active Member

I set it up so if I move the mouse to the lower right corner expose is activated. Works nicely.

The only other thing that will take getting used to is having to quit everything. Just clicking the X isn't enough anymore. :hsugh:

15. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'll try not to be too harsh on you since you go UCSB (presumably), but there are 2 threads at the top of this forum that probably could answer all your questions and more. Also, if you buy a sub you can search this forum for any unanswered questions, since they've been covered many times. Another good place to go is the apple support forums for the powerbooks. (www.apple.com -> support -> g4 pbook -> forums link on right side -> usage forum)

16. tenplanescrashing

getting used to quitting will be easy, especially if you apple+Q. I rarely use the mouse anymore after I learned keyboard shortcut keys.

17. verbal

verbal Active Member

How do I change icons of programs in the dock?

18. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Unless you're really short on RAM, you shouldn't need to quit all your apps when your done with them. Just leave them running and rejoice in the fact that you don't have to wait 20 minutes for Photoshop to load the next time you want to use it.

19. Rev. Johnny Vegas

If you want a program on the dock, drag it there and be sure to right click and tell it to stay on the dock. If you want it off the dock, drag it to trash.

20. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I think hes asking how to change the icons that represent an application.

I belive that you need to change the applicatyions main icon in the apps folder. Copy the icon you like, get info on the app, and paste the icon onto that.

21. tenplanescrashing

not to be rude or anything but why do you want to do this? This has always been an easy thing to do in windows but its always seemed like a very useless ability. Whats wrong with the one the program comes with??? :dunno:

22. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Aesthetics would be my guess. Kind of like asking why anyone would repaint their car or modify it in some other way, or debadge, etc.