MMA Paying to train under belts lower than brown

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I notice some people on this forum pay to train under purple belts, and I know a couple blue/purples who instruct at places. I can see it if you are an absolute beginner, but if you are paying more than $40 a month why would you want to train under a purp unless he is incredible or you are desperate due to lack of trainers in your area?

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

A purple belt (who is legit) should have like 3 - 4 + years of hard work and for people who are just starting out can teach them more than enough for their game to progress for a while. Once a student becomes more advanced I agree that seeking the instruction of a black belt would be ideal but... If due to distance/travel/convenience only a purple belt is available then I think that there is still some benefit. Basically the more advanced a student gets, the more he/she has to teach himself and seek out a custom-fitted gameplan rather than being spoon fed what to do by an instructor. So the purple belt instructor becomes someone of equal/greater skill that you can test many parts of your game out on.

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

My BJJ guy was a purple when I started there not alot of choice here.

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

a knowledgable purple can teach a beginner plenty

but theres nothing like learning from a black belt.

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

yeah

6. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Never had a lot of time training under a real black. I've done a few Matt Serra and a few Gustavo Machado seminars, but haven't trained under either for longer than a few hours at a time.

I train under a brown, and even if they were purples, I'd train there. There simply isn't a lot of choice around here.

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

When I started training at my gym 3 years ago, my instructor was only a blue belt. He was only a blue because he had only been a part of a BJJ association for a short period of time. He had probably been grappling and doing submission wrestling for 10 years by now/then, and today he's a brown belt on his way to his black. Belt color is often how you judge the skill of your instructor but it isn't always the case.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

. my first coach didn't have a belt or anything in bjj, but he was a black belt/state champ in judo, and a state champ in wrestling + tons of submission wrestling experience. there's more to an instructor besides their belt color...

9. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Ive attended lots of seminars from prestigious individuals in the BJJ community, they may be good at what they do, but they are not all great instructors. If you can learn from a good solid purple or even blue because they have the ability to instruct you well, they why does it matter? I wouldnt put all your faith in someones ability as a teacher based solely on what color fabric they are wearing around their waist.

10. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

very well put. I intentionally train MT with an instructor who has by far the least experience in my gym, he is by every ounce of the definition a prodigy in MT. He has a long way to go, but he is also lightyears ahead of people doign it 5x as long.
    I train with him because he knwos exactly what its liek to be learning still and can still relate to where I am right now, not be blinded by the common perceptioon that you are either a star or a bum. if that makes any sense.

11. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

You son of a bitch, you beat me to it

12. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

:bowrofl: