WEB Paying for a web design v.what to expect

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OFI, Apr 11, 2008.

1. OFI

OFI New Member

So my mum has agreed for someone to build her a website for a business. I haven't ever paid anyone but what should you expect?
    She said the guy basically explained what he could do and she told him what she wanted but what next?

If I was building a website professionally I think I would make some quick sketches to show the basic layout plan to give a quick feel of what the site will look like (especially good for people who don't know much about web design such as my mum) Followed by regular updates to make sure the design is right the first time.

It's been a couple of months now and she hasn't seen any sort of progress at all, unfortunately the person building the site for her is not only her friends son but her friend happens to own the shop she rents a space in which of course will most likely make things awkward.

What happens if the final design is shit? Is it an accepted part of the job to go away and do it again or what?

I knew it was a bad idea from the start :hs: especially after my mum said he had had to go and buy some new software because what he was using wasn't up to it. I would have hoped he had everything he needed :ugh:

Knew I should have paid someone on OT

Out of interest what would people expect to pay/take for a fairly basic website with a page or two about the company and product but the main area being a shop with a simple gallery which could accept paypal and ideally payments from CCs to paypal.

In my opinion this website is close to the sort of thing she would be after: http://www.victorianlove.com/

(unfortunately the script that site uses didn't turn out to be very good as you can't take CCs IIRC and you can't have different delivery options)

2. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

]

The guy should have at least sent mockups within the first week of what it would look like.

3. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Set some guidelines. Act like you know what you're talking about, even if you don't.

He'll know not to try to fuck around, and mess with the prices. Remember that he's working for you, so you tell him what you want.

If you don't like something, try to get him to change it ASAP, instead of waiting till the end... that way he wont have to redesign and start from scratch again. Be sure he's using a solid backend....

Some CMS systems do require money, so it wouldnt be unusual if this new "software" he's going to purchase it the backend.

4. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

How much do you know about webdesign OFI ?

I bet you can probably figure out how to set up oscommerce and get maybe get a template on, so you'll at least have something for now.

5. OFI

OFI New Member

No it was along the lines of Photoshop or Dreamweaver I just can't remember what.

My web design/building skills are very basic, i've built some crappy home pages in the past, installed scripts and made basic graphics. I didn't want the responsibility of doing it to be honest. I had hoped paying a pro to do the job would accelerate the progress of her business. The guy sounds like he's bitten off far more than he can chew, apparently he has made sites before but i'm wondering if his experience is similar to mine.

I've got to set her hosting up this weekend so I might have a play around then, any recommended free or cheap oscommerce systems? Nothing too fancy though as I expect there to be a maximum of 100 items at any one time.

6. M3Driver

M3Driver New Member

It sounds like all she needs is a simple ecommerce site - there are hundreds of em out there that can be styled the way you want.

Pay a monthly fee and get all the support you need, the software, hosting, tracking, etc, plus its secure and professional.

I have been using Volusion for a while but we'll be switching soon - just check it out as an example.

7. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

oscommerse is a very simple, yet powerful script.

Very easy to install etc...
    very secure.

If you can set up a forum like phpbb, you can probably set up oscommerse

8. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

he had to BUY photoshop or dreamweaver? make sure he doesnt think youre going to pay him for that or something. I know it would make no sense, but for him to say he had to buy it for this ONE project sounds kind of weird.

i would tell him to give you/your mom some previews/mock ups asap to see if his style is what you want.

9. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Has she already paid or been given a quote? Did he have any examples of past work?

10. OFI

OFI New Member

She's had a quote already it was "around £300"

No examples, i'd have liked to have seen a portfolio tbh..

I basically passed on what people have said on here to my mum already today.

11. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Before I even give my clients a quite I tell them about our conditions, project processes, and payment plan. After they have approved of our portfolio work as well as our design work we move on to the next phase of the project. A 25% down payment is required and then I will proceed with the layout design.....yadda yadda.

I allow for up to five mock ups before I start charging extra (I have never had to do it, I have yet have to have to make more then three designs). Personally, if the design is not what you are looking for you either need to figure out if you want to deal with that individual or you are going to tell the designer to redesign the layout because it does not fit what you are looking for. If you end up doing the second route remember to try and tell the designer a little bit more about what you are looking for exactly within the design. I always ask a serious of questions about their business, what other websites have they enjoyed in the past, do they have an idea of color scheme or colors they like, are they looking for a grid based design, two column, etc. (I will show examples), and more...

It seems to me he was not very thorough, wish you would of came to my company, but alas whats done is done.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  12. OFI

OFI New Member

Just spoke to my mum, apparently she found out the guy has never made a site for anyone before :( this doesn't surprise me.

She said she will have to go through with it anyway as I mentioned earlier his mum owns the shop she uses and it could come back on her. I convinced her to contact him about it anyway and ask if he still had time to do it as he has said he is starting a new job and that her son has offered to do it for her now if he was busy. Otherwise she said she'll have to let him do it.

What a pain in the arse lol. Apparently he has been working on it though although she hasn't seen anything and they have had a few meetings to ask what she wants so hopefully it's not all bad... but if he doesn't know what he's doing....

13. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

just ask for some mock ups first and if your mom doesnt like what she sees just say shes gonna decide to go with someone else? is the owner of the shop space really petty or bitchy or something? sounds like you're SURE it will come back to bite if you guys tell this guy you dont wanna get the website from him now.

14. OFI

OFI New Member

My mum seems to think so, if nothing else its awkward when the woman recommended her son and especially if he has apparently been doing some work towards it.

We'll see if he replies to her email, hopefully he's too busy to do it.

15. OFI

OFI New Member

Bump for company info.

Or anyone else who actually knows wtf they are doing and can deliver the goods on the site described in my other post.

Site for selling blankets like these:

[​IMG]

Something based around OScommerce looks a good bet, ubercart looks pretty impressive too.

All she wants is an easy to navigate site with a shop that is easy for customers to use which is able to take payments from paypal and through credit/debit cards through a pay service (again such as paypal)
    She wants it to be easy to add new products.
    Due to the product (blankets) there will usually only be one item of that type but she wants to offer worldwide postage so selectable shipping options is a must.

Um.. other than the shop she wants a contact page and a page about blankets.

So if anyone wants to provide a quote based on that or requires any more info please pm or reply here :)
    I would like to see some previous work of course :)

16. Siamo

Siamo New Member

Well when I last designed a website for a client it was a case of:

- Initial meetings = gathering requirements etc.

- Next two/three meetings = mockups of potential designs

- Final set of meetings = Final designs/Tweaking the design

- After the website is complete = Provide some support with the website, usually for a few weeks

As for payment, as it was a friend of a friend, I got payment at the end. Saying that, I'm not a professional (I don't do it as my job at the moment). I'd expect it would be a case of the client states what they want, the designers gives them a quote. The client will then usually pay a percentage of that.