payback

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by nosaj, Sep 15, 2005.

1. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

Payback was on tbs lastnight. I happen to like Mel gibson as a bad guy and enjoy this movie, anyone else?

2. seismic

seismic New Member

I saw it in theatres when it came out and really enjoyed it. Sylvester Stallone made Get Carter after it, and it was basically the same movie, I heard. Haven't seen it though.

3. hemicuda1313

hemicuda1313 New Member

mel gibson wasnt really a bad guy...he was the hero of the movie...he was no more a bad guy than nick cage in gone in 60 seconds

4. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

I thought the movie was good. Lucy Liu was hot

5. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

he was killing people left and right, he may have been likeable but he was a bad guy.

6. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

it was pretty good. had some pretty funny bits

7. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere New Member

If I recall, he was only killing other bad guys. Mel was a bad guy with a conscience and principles, as further proved by his refusal to take more money, when all the other bad guys wanted to believe that he wanted more. Mel wanted what he was owed, and not a penny more.

I missed it in theatres, but caught it on video a few years ago and I really liked it. Some interesting things about it:

It seems to be set in the '70's. There is talk about Nixon on the radio and there are no cell phones, but there's not reall an effort to make the movie a "period piece." I thought that was an interesting choice.

I don't know about the TV version, but the version I have is lightly filtered to bring out the blue. The whole movie has that steely blue tint.

I have heard that Mel reworked and directed the whole second half of the movie. Apparently, he hated the direction on the story and changed it. It's a surprise to me, because I believe that the movie has a great, clever ending, and I notice no big indications that the movie has switched tone or rhythm midway through.

It's based upon a book and a movie called "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin. I rented "Point Blank" because I liked "Payback" so much, but "Point Blank" was not very memorable and had little in common with the remake. I didn't care for it. The remake is better.

8. JoeyFyed

JoeyFyed New Member

imma fag.likebois.tois and azn hores..tee-hee ;]