SRS Paxil

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 311-420, Feb 8, 2006.

1. 311-420

311-420 New Member

Well, I was diagnosed with O.C.D. yesterday. My doctor prescribed me paxil but i took it today and it makes me feel weird. anyone have any experiences with paxil that they would like to share?

2. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I took paxil for a while for "clinical depression". I weaned myself off of it and it was a horrible drug. It made me want to jump off a bridge.

I would do some serious research before taking it. If you stop it the withdrawal will be horrible. I was slurring my words like a drunk when I stopped it.

3. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

get of it. Took it after someone extremely close died and it messed me up worse. in my none of the medicines help that much they just make it so you can get by. I'm not saying to do this but weed helps me with ocd and depression!

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Whoah, hold it right there.

Paxil saved my life. It is a very effective medicine. It will almost certainly help with your OCD. It is extremely unlikely to have the effect it had on this guy. You have to understand that a lot of people do not believe in medicine for psychiatric conditions and will tell you that medicine will kill you.

It will not. It will help you. Listen to your doctor. Not this guy.

5. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

Well I wouldn't be so quick to keep using it either. If its making you feel "wierd" in a bad way, consult your doctor about it.

6. Create

Create :free at last:

I have one point of evidence, which does not make a case by any means.

A very close friend of mine starting taking Paxil. Within 6 months he was telling me about how his sex drive had dwindled to near nothing. After a year he'd have an anxiety attack (the primary sympton of his initial disorder) if he missed a pill.

My friend is now both physically and mentally dependant on Paxil. It's kinda sad.

Well that's my story. Listen to Peyomp, though. He's giving you good advice rather than propaganda.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Peyomp speaks with the voice of experience. Even EF Hutton pays attention to that.

Part of a successful experience with these kinds of medications is to REPORT side effects to your doc, who can adjust dosage or switch you to something else.

Don't be one of these simpletons that decides to take himself off after a day or two because he doesn't like it. And good on you for taking action to help yourself.
    You're on the right path.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

On Paxil one time I had an 8 hour erection. And used it. On a hot girl with a big fat ass.

Beat that, motherfuckers.

9. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I ran out a couple of days ago.. I'm waiting for a refill.

I dunno if its related, but i keep having flashes of dizzyness.. last like 1 second. Almost like i'm drunk.

10. 311-420

311-420 New Member

Thanks for the information guys! My dad is dating a general practitioner right now who thinks paxil is a very effective drug. She recommended that i break my 20mg tablets in half for the first 4 days and then move up to the full pill.

As far as dizziness, that was the first thing that i noticed when i took the pill yesterday. I was doing my homework for class and looked up to notice i felt dizzy, but then it went away and i didnt feel it again.

all in all, im just going to break it in half for the next 4 days until i graduate to a full 20mg. this should break me in right and get me on the right track.

once again, thanks for the information everyone. please feel free to add more.

11. 311-420

311-420 New Member

my uncle is on paxil, he ran out once and quit taking it. he had vertigo for a couple of months and didnt even want to get out of bed because he abruptly quit. get your medicine soon and take care.

12. 311-420

311-420 New Member

i think that weed induced my ocd. i smoked everday for 5yrs and the whole time i was doing it i was having ocd symptoms.

13. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

thats the paranoia kicking in ;-)

14. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Whats ocd and paxil? <--sorry for the ignorant comment, but im serious I dont know about em, so simplify it please.

What about other drugs that do the same thing? Paxil could have a sister drug that could get recommended, talk to the doc.

15. 311-420

311-420 New Member

there's a huge difference between paranoia(usually caused by smoking low-grade pot) and ocd symptoms...huge difference.

16. 311-420

311-420 New Member

ocd= obsessive compulsive disorder
    paxil= an sri(seritonal re-uptake inhibitor)...a medicine to help people control their obsessions and anxiety among other things

17. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You might want to discuss your personal problems here, because if you manage to get rid of what made you go on paxil in the first place, then you'll be able to get rid of the paxil in cooperation with your doctor.

18. 311-420

311-420 New Member

i have always thought that i could beat ocd by myself without meds, but i read on some websites that you cant do it without help. thats when i decided to get help.

19. johan

johan Active Member

OCD is an organic disorder, hard to treat through willpower alone.
    Meds make a huge difference.

20. 311-420

311-420 New Member

thats what i've heard. and i'm a living testament of it.

21. Create

Create :free at last:

Really? I had symmetry issues for about a year in HS. It kinda tailed off after that but it took alot of mental retraining. I diddn't know it was chemical.

22. lick wid nit wit

Yep, that's exactly what I got when I stopped taking it.

23. lick wid nit wit

I am all for using whatever meds you need to to get better. In fact I am on meds for bipolar disorder. I am NOT one of those anti-medicine people. Quite the opposite in fact.

However, my experience with Paxil/SSRIs in general was not good. It was bad, in fact. they don't work for everyone. and I know I'm not alone in my experiences. The SSRI class of drugs like Paxil are over-prescribed and contrary to what the doctors tell you, are physically dependent. Withdrawal from them is not pleasant.

I do believe there was a lawsuit against the manufacturer of Paxil about the dependency issue, someone claimed that the drug company knew that Paxil causes withdrawal symptoms but chose not to let anyone know about it. I don't know how that case resulted.

24. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

But does help means "meds" or does it include psychotherapy ?
    Combining psychotherapy and medication is more effective than using either of 'em alone.

25. 311-420

311-420 New Member

i am in the process of training myself to reason out my obsessions and not let them turn into compulsions. therapy probably wouldnt hurt, but im going to give this a shot first. hell, i've been living with it for 19 yrs and trying to control it now with a little help i might be able to. one step at a time.