GUN Pawn shop guns.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

OK, I am thinking about picking up something and getting back into some shooting after a long break.

Are pawn shops worth a stop? Any wierd licensing issues, or is it just cash and carry? I have a feeling most of what they have would be junk, but I'm curious.

:dunno:

2. mvizos

mvizos New Member

you're in VA, right...never seen a pawn shop that was worth a damn around here.

If you're looking for a good price, check out purcells guns in purcellville (it's a haul, but his prices were a good $125 / $150 off of VA guns in manassas for the same gun, both on an HK USP I bought and a Sig a coworker bought)

3. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Ive never seen a straight up deal.. You have to argue with them to get anything resembling retail..

That being said, I wouldnt waste my time unless it was on the way to a gunstore

4. Buzz Killington

Thanks, Purcellville is not too far from me.

5. mvizos

mvizos New Member

I need to go see what he's got, look at maybe ordering an AR...but I spend way too much money with him as it is.

Soon as I walk in he starts smiling, because he knows I'm about to shit out some cash.

6. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

I'm curious too.

7. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Nothing weird, but pawn shops have to be an FFL to buy/sell/deal in guns. Just like in a gunshop, they will have to fill out a 4473 and do a background check.

8. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Depends entirely on the pawn shop.

Some carry a lot of guns, and have them over priced, and in my experience are generally sketchy (would probably fudge the paperwork 'accidentally' if you paid them for it, would take a hot gun and 'clean it up' if you sold it cheap enough). I'm talking, oh look an early 20's with clean, well fitting clothes. lol dont want your money.

Some carry a lot of guns, have fair prices, and really enjoy dealing in weapons.

Some dont carry many guns at all, prices could be all over the place.

In my area, every pawn shop I've been in except one may as well have been a gun store with a side business of pawning and selling other items.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

my last pawn shop buy;
    bought a used trumpet at a flea market for $20, traded it at a pawnshop for a .22lr pistol, sold the pistol for $150

yeah, i'm a pawn shop fan sometimes, but some shops just think their shit is made out of gold and are trying to get $20 less than the new price for shit so fuck those shops

10. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Seems like they have decent prices for hunting rifles and other non-gangsta stuff.

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

depends on the pawn shop... a bargain can be had, if they raped the other guy.

12. rtran

rtran Member

i just sold my sig p226 chambered in 357 sig to a local pawn shop.

they gave me a decent offer so i took it. ive been trying to sell it for a month now with no takers so i thought id give it a shot

happens that they had a glock 23 in mint condition so i took that off their hands while i was there:)

13. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I have bought several guns from pawn shops. Hell, i've bought just about anything from pawn shops. A few tricks I have found

1. You have to hardball negotiate. If you pay the sticker price on a car, don't bother. You must be able to walk away
    2. Hit the pawn shops in the area 1-2 times a month. You get a feel for what has been there for a while. Pawn shops need turnover
    3. Try and find what pawn shops specialize in what. Some do guns, some do tool, some jewelry, some electronics.
    4. Figure out their pricing code. Every pawn shop records what they paid. Most use a letter code on the tag. The basic one is A=1 B=2... There are some others, check google.
    5. Inspect everything you buy. They will not help you if something is found later
    6. Shop based on timelines - don't go rifle hunting between Oct - Jan. Shop for anything in Feb-June, etc.
    7. Strange brings less money for them. They know what glocks will go for (and homeboys love them). Now a pistol cal lever action, antique rifles, uncommon foreign manufaturers give you a better chance. I got a pawn shop employee to believe Konus was a walmart scope and take $150 off a rifle. The scope is really worth about $125.

14. Buzz Killington

wtf ancient bump

15. Section8

Section8 .

blame boner

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

5 year old thread

BONUS DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK