GUN Pawn shop find??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Sep 5, 2006.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

I was just at a pawn shop and saw what I think is an original Makarov. Frame and slide are both blued, stamped 1976 on one side and under the slide stamped "made in Poland TX KNOX TN". Mag release is under the grip, not a button release like the Hungarian one listed on aimsurplus.com. They want $200 for it. Whatcha think?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

3. texchef

texchef Guest

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yeah thats what I figured, I'd let it go then. If you just have to have a gun that fires 9x18 it would work, but if you want something thats more of a piece of history (the only reason to buy 9x18 to me) then you might as well hold out for a real mak, the p-64 isn't anything special and for that price you should be able to find a real mak.

5. texchef

texchef Guest

The way i see it since it is not original then I should get the Hungarian one that aimsurplus has for $120. Don't really have a hard on for Maks but an inexpensive gun for CC.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd push you toward a 9mm so you can use jhp's for defense and practice cheaper, but yeah the price is hard to beat, you can probably take that one from aim home for $150.

7. texchef

texchef Guest

so what 9mm are out there that are of similar frame size and style?

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

P7?

9. texchef

texchef Guest

??? Brand?

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

HK

11. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Bersa makes a good line of cheap guns. If you want to pay $1000+ for an outdated design then go ahead and get the P7. Kel-Tec has a compact 9mm coming out soon. It'll be in the $250-$300 range and it's really small.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It's already out - saw one at the gun shop the other day.

I was thinking P7 because he wanted an older style handgun like that. :dunno:

13. texchef

texchef Guest

Not necessarily older style handgun but moreso a single stack 9mm that has a metal frame and metal slide. I would absolutely LOVE to get a Beretta compact 92 but don't wanna choke up that kinda cash.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yeah if your budget is like $150-200, you can just forget about the HK P7 series.

Check out the S&W 6904 here http://www.kyimports.com/sw.htm#s&w

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1252009.html has some S&W 6906's cheap.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1355980.html is also a pretty nice trigger on a decently compact gun.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1403747.html is a good price for a single stack version

It sucks to pony up the extra $50-100 up front, but you'll appreciate easy to find ammo and being able to find excellent defensive loads available for, something the makarov just doesn't have imho.

15. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

What you saw was a Polish P-64. It's slightly smaller than a mak, but personally I prefer them. In their stock form, they have something like a 25-27 lb. double action trigger pull, which is INSANE. You can replace the hammer spring though and take it down to a more managable 16-18 lbs.

This website is a good reesource on them:
    http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi

The Hungarian PA-63 is slightly bigger, and is a fun gun too. Although it's not really needed, I changed the hammer spring in mine to take the double action trigger pull down to around 11 lbs. Now it's trigger pull feels like the DA on any modern gun.

So far I've got 3 P-64's, a PA-63 and a bulgarian mak. They are all fun guns. If you want something for CC though, a regular 9mm would probably be the best thing. Try a Sig P230 or P232.

I think I paid ~$150, $175 and $175 for the P-64's. ~$175 for the mak(the finish is around 80%) and somewhere around $175 for the PA-63, but it came with two matching mags, as opposed to two random ones.

[​IMG]

16. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

17. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

hey, know of any other grips to fit the PA. mine beats the hell out of my hand after 50 rounds.

18. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

http://makarov.com/cart/vitempa63.htm

They used to have some flat panel rubber grips that were similar to hogue's, but it looks like they took them off their page. Other than those, I've never seen any other aftermarket grips for the gun.

19. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

You can find new KelTec P11 9mm on gunbroker for $230
    if you search you can find used ones below 200