Path to Purple Belt...

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Hillary, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Granted...I don't want or expect this anytime soon, I've been training less than two years. However, I want constant progression toward it.

Stats:
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 149

Day 1 of Training Log - Goals

-Play more sweeps.
    -Put my effort into constant, fluid movement and agility rather than strength when rolling.
    -String together moves instead of single attacks.
    -Take notes after class at least 2 times a week.
    -Roll more after class.
    -Maintain a healthier physique, better cardio, improve eating habits.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. Hillary

Day 1

Planned on waking up for a morning run, opted to study a section I hadn't covered in my history class. Turned out to be a good decision, the essay was over it, and I kicked ass on it so it's okay.

4:00 PM training up at college, I taught then rolled for 20 minutes with my best student, still a bit green but slick and about my size. Played butterfly guard a lot, I hang out too long before attacking.

6:30 PM training at Westside. I taught the women's class, rolled lightly with them for about 5 minutes each, not enough to count for training.

Overall, bad day for jiu jitsu, but Thursdays are always more of a rest and teach kind of day, which solidifies my basics by having to break them down and explain.

Diet was pretty bad, I had some brownies and cake at home that I'm regretting. Hopefully this will keep me on track.

Beijos

3. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Just think of all the blue belt chicks who are training and not eating brownies... should help with the diet. That's how I maintain a healthy diet. :o

:h5: on everything else though.

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Naw girl eat dem brownies, get a big ole ass and use the most elite move yet, the cellulite choke.

In all seriousness good luck Hillary, this keyboard warrior is cheering for you!

5. Hillary

Day 2

Last day of class before Spring Break. My to-do list is massive, but I don't party so I should be able to get all my homework done. My diet today was good. Not immaculately clean but very substantial.

2:00 PM Private with Roli. Worked butterfly guard, half guard, full guard, and spider guard passes. Rolled after for 25 minutes. Totally exhausted but I flowed well, worked more sweeps, and my overall balance felt better. Matt awarded me my first tip on my blue belt, a "Great Effort" Tae Kwon Do belt sticker that I'm pretty sure was a joke.

4:00 PM and 5:00 Taught Kid's classes. Worked punch kick combinations to takedowns with them, went really well. Their sparring is actually starting to look technical.

6:00 PM Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Rolled with one of our best white belts, Justin. Had an incredibly dynamic, fluid, good roll with him, I ended up getting a cross choke, which blew my mind. Ran warm ups and kicked mine and everyone else's ass in this Arkansas heat (no air conditioning). Rolled hard 6 minutes each with Matt (BB Coach), Roli (BB Coach), Mark (Purple Belt), Matt (White Belt), and Scott (White Belt). I flowed a ton, worked sweeps, and got massacred by the high ranks. The white belts frustrated me. They won't flow, their only goal is to not get tapped by a girl. I just worked series and felt really good about my jiu jitsu today.

After class, our coaches announced that today was an impromptu testing. Our blind judo black belt got his blue belt, as did the aforementioned Justin. I'm really happy for both of them and they worked their ass off for it. Oddly enough, I was also pulled to the front of the class and given 3 legit stripes on my belt, and apparently the other one, however fun, was a serious stripe. So. Just a notch away from purple, but I'm in no rush and I'm positive that my coaches aren't either.

Beijos.

6. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:hs: I want a "great effort" TKD sticker. that's rad.

7. Hillary

Day 3

11:00 AM It's a damn good thing I get free privates because this was my fourth this week...I'm cramming for Pan Ams. Worked taking the back and escaping and keeping my cool in bad positions. Roli and I were going about half speed, he swept me but in the half speed and with my lack of skill went a little sloppy and I did a triangle transition he described as "gorgeous," so that made me smile.

12 Noon: Did nogi class, worked on kimura series, which I needed. Rolled with low ranks only today, and they irritate me. I want to be strong too, assholes! Alas, technique prevailed. They got triangled.

Need to study the rest of the day, I'm about to go make my dad lunch (I'm trying to get him on my diet, he needs to get back in shape) and maybe run later.

Beijos

8. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Lift weights.

9. Hillary

Chock that one up to the whole ovaries thing. I'm pretty fucking strong for a chick.

10. Hillary

Day 4

Ate a lot all day, but I'm at weight for Pan Ams so we're good.

Climbed Pinnacle Mountain about 11 AM, rode my horse at 1 PM. Rode without stirrups, forcing me to wrap my legs well in order to stay in the saddle. Take that, people who attempt to pass my guard!

7 PM: Pagan Training. Usually it's open mat, about 12 people. Well...it was just me and one other guy who didn't have much training. So, I told him I'd give him some free instruction if he'd be my grappling dummy. So I gave him a 30 minute private and just did drills for me (mostly series/flowing) for 30 minutes. Then we rolled without strength, constant movement, and got a good sweat in. Feeling good! 5 days to Pan Ams!

Beijos

11. Ken Lee

Ken Lee Guest

whats this beijinho crap, cracker? youre not cool

12. Hillary

Day 5

Ken Lee e um filho da puta. Estou aprendendo portugues, tao eu vou practicar.

12 Noon: Noon gi class at the gym. Worked some sweeps from spider guard, and the blind judo guy brought in some friends. Two judo brown belts that had a tournament coming up, I got some work in standing with those guys. I got the fuck thrown out of me. Ouch. At least I beat him once we hit the ground. I need to train more judo.

5 PM: Taught kids class. Mount submissions ftw.

6 PM: Did nogi class. Five dudes came in who saw Never Back Down, but they had great attitudes and wanted to learn. I rolled with Matt and Roli, mostly flow, and then worked with each of the new guys. Just keeping it light, my weight is about a pound or two under for Pan Ams. Not nervous, surprisingly. I'm sure it'll hit soon enough.

Beijos

13. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I still haven't seen it. Maybe when I watch that movie I'll actually go train instead of tell myself I'm going to.

14. Hillary

Rest in Peace - Alexandre "Bada" Andrade

I planned to go to ATT Vero Beach for a month this summer, spending time and training twice a day with the vertically challenged yet incredibly talented Renato Tavares. His black belt, Alex, ran the school with him and was a good friend of mine. I was set to crash on his couch for a month. We'd planned out the "Rio Lifestyle:" jiu jitsu, acai, the beach, and Portuguese. I found myself counting the days, it was going to be so fun.

I hadn't talked to Alex in a week or so, and yesterday I had a strong urge to leave him a note on Orkut to check up on him. Alas, I had a long day and was tired, and told myself that I would do it "tomorrow." I kept my word, leaving a simple, "Fala Alex! Tudo bem?" on his wall tonight after training. Essentially, "Hey, what's up?" Almost immediately, a stranger sent me a message, saying he was a friend of Alex and regretted to announce his passing. Written in Portuguese, I found myself begging that I mistranslated. I called Renato to confirm, and the tone of his "hello" said enough. I broke into tears immediately, but I tried to control them because Renato was being so strong. He told me that Alex had a heart attack during training and died before he could get to the hospital.

Alex brought joy to everyone he knew. He was happy, passionate, and knowledgeable. He, unlike so many people, didn't settle to have a passion as a hobby and work to support it. He loved jiu jitsu and made it his living. He died doing what he loved. If only more of us could say the same. I just wish it hadn't have been so soon.

Descanse em paz e fe em Deus sempre, Alex.

15. Hillary

Day 6

I got to sleep at about 5 am and rose promptly at 7 am. Alex's loss is hitting me hard, I spent a good portion of the day helping Renato get shit settled and painting murals. Knowing Alex though, he wouldn't want me to get sad. He'd just want me to get on the mats and kick enough ass for both of us, so I plan on it!

I haven't trained yet, but I needed to share this awesome quote. A purple belt who gets consistently injured finally returned to the gym. I exclaimed, "Whoa. You still exist?" "Yeah, beneath all these braces and neoprene lies a man made of...well...balsa wood and lightbulb glass."

Okay. I need to be considerably more peppy or you guys aren't going to respond. We had another influx of Never Back Down-ers. Woo! That movie didn't teach the snake move, hahaha suck on that. Rolled with some high ranks, and a new chick that keeps kicking me in the face. I'm trying to be nice, but pretty soon I'm gonna have to lay down the alpha bitch on her ass.

Pan Ams 3 days away. Sweet.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  16. teep

teep New Member

You are ridiculously focused. I swear if I had half the work ethic you did I'd be so good. Good luck at Pan Ams :wiggle:

17. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Its cause you're a man. We're far superior. We have brains 3 times the size of hers; its science.

18. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I hate face-kickers. :o

19. Hillary

Day 1
    I played a delicious little game known as the airport shuffle most of today. After packing my gi (making sure my belt was carry on in case of any mishaps), a scale, and some minor necessities for traveling, I set off for the Little Rock Airport, a delightful little hub set right where the inbred rednecks clash fantastically with ghetto hoodlums. The plane to DFW would have been better described as a private jet version Mexico. Pretty much, too damn many people in one little ass plane. My seat mate had no concept of a personal space bubble and drooled when he slept. Exit plane one, and cue a dead sprint to my next flight, arriving in time to make last call. I found myself smack dab in the middle of the plane, between two old lady best friends—both of whom refused to switch seats because they liked the alley. By far the funniest plane ride ever. Karen and Vanna: masters of the planet. Friends since twenty, these two ladies have been all over the freaking universe together. One lives in Italy, the other in Oakland; both were en route to Australia. Vanna told me a fantastic story about her first time getting pulled over, where a smartass cop said, “Well, you think you can fly huh? Let’s see your pilot’s license.” Awesome as Vanna is, she promptly presented her actual pilot’s license to the cop who just got in his car and left. Karen pulled out her Zune, convenient triple headphones splitter, and the three of us plopped down to Mystery Science Theater 3000 for an hour of the flight. Truly fantastic. My ride from the airport ran on Brazilian time, arriving a solid hour and a half late, but made up for it by driving swiftly to the cheesecake factory, where I had some ballin’ Mahi Mahi. He then dropped me off at my ghetto as balls hotel and I’m off to sleep until morning.
    Day 2
    My internal clock woke me up at 7 (which is sleeping in like crazy for me, 9 AM back home!) and I started to contemplate what I could amuse myself with until 1 pm, when I’d get picked up. I opted for a mile walk to the beach. Clad in short shorts and a tank top, I decided just how much I love Southern California. After an hour and a half walk, I retired to my room, where I discovered the hotel manager had changed his mind about late check out and was kicking me out at 11. So, friend of my ride, (we’re to friend of a friend of a friend at this point in the chain) picks me up and took me to his and his fiancé’s house. Totally stoked about the beachside residence, they gave me a beach bike for the day and said to be back in a few hours. I rode down a few piers, found a Greek place to eat and chat with the owner, and was back on my way. As I returned, my host told me to put my gi in the front basket of the bike; we were going to go train. A ten minute bike ride and I was at Brazilian Top Team Long Beach, where coach Marcelo Perdomo worked on some drills with me and my game plan for tomorrow. The guys were very open and it was a fun training environment—I think I’ll go back sometime for a little training. I rolled flow with one of their purple belts and everyone was very impressed with my rolling. Keeping it light for tomorrow, I retired and watched the rest of the class. After helping my host and his fiancé set up a couch, they took me to a new hotel to meet Gustavo Dantas and his team who will play my hosts the remainder of the trip. They’re politically incorrect and awesome, but I don’t talk much so I’m not sure what they think of me.

This deserves its own paragraph. During my morning walk, I received a toothless yet enthusiastic smile from a homeless man. I returned it, adding a cheery, “Good morning.” The look on his face was of slight shock, and he said, “You must not be from around here. But thank you for making my day.” Last week, my coach told me, “Every day, someone is seeing you for the first time, and someone is seeing you for the last time. Always present yourself how you want to be remembered.” This stuck with me. You never know what will happen to you or anyone else the next day.
    Day 3
    Woke up early, grabbed some breakfast, and went for a walk this morning. Sucked, cause those guys didn’t wake up until hella late and the time change had me up at the crack of fucking dawn. Got to the competition around 1 after a hearty trip to IHOP (yay for bumping up weight classes!) and proceeded to wander. Sans a team, I looked to re-meet most of the people I see at tournaments. It was successful, I learned somewhere around 40 names and promptly forgot them. Marcelo Perdomo, the aforementioned BTT coach, then got on my ass about wandering and forced me into jiu jitsu timeout in the corner until my division was called. I step on the scale, after two breakfasts, a good 5 lbs under and went to the gi inspector. All was good until he said my collar was too thick; I had to get it changed in five minutes. Okay, insert panic mode, but a white belt girl at BTT was there to rescue me and gave me her top.
    Match 1: Set to go, I hopped onto the mat for what I was told to be a national champion collegiate wrestler and “one hell of an athlete.” I interpreted that as strong with no technique and I was spot on. She punched, elbowed, and kneed me in the face, leaving me with bleeding lips and a goose egg. After sweeping her (bringing back the scissor sweep!) and passing her guard twice, she just held on until the round ended, trying not to get subbed. She then refused to shake my hands. Good attitude, cunt.
    Match 2: Jumped guard again, swept scissor sweep again, she held on again. 8-0, again.
    Match 3: Pulled guard, went for arm bar, got high on the back and panicked instead of establishing position, went for another armbar. After figuring out my brilliant ass had my ankles crossed, by the time I uncrossed them I’d lost the armbar and went back to full guard. Sleeve control to triangle, finish the armbar. Her face bled on my pants.
    Match 4: Total point rape, but another girl that was just looking to hold on. 12-0.
    Day 4 and 5:
    I watched jiu jitsu diligently from 10 am to 8 pm both days. Holy fuck, it ruled. I want to get back in the gym immediately. Tarsis Humphries vs. Andre Gaval had my blood pumping, and Tarsis sadly broke his collar bone or hurt his shoulder and couldn’t continue. Saw some top women compete, and I think with several more years and a lot more competitions, I could be up there with them. I just need to be focused. Sunday night went to a BTT party, at some chicken, had some cake, then got taken to the airport for my midnight flight. It’s not 6:04 am and I’m sitting in the Dallas airport.
    Oh, I’m fighting on April 26th. Hitting training camp hard this week and on!

20. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:h5: I lol'd at:

21. Hillary

I think I have a problem.

Well, I arrived in Little Rock about 10 am, ready to go to class for a couple of hours and sleep the rest of the day. That would have been logical, right? Well, instead, I stopped by my gym--"To say hi." That ended with me lifting weights until noon class, rolling with Matt for an hour straight until we were both soaked, going walking on the river, teaching kids class, doing a little boxing work with Matt, and then doing night class. Yeah, I'm brilliant...working out for around 6 hours after not sleeping since Saturday night.

During the noon roll with Matt I felt like a million bucks. Constant pressure but I could tell I really had technique to go for, not just tarding out. During the course of the roll Matt's black belt got wrapped around my waist and I separated it off me and he goes, "Man...it's gonna be fun to give you one of those one day." I haven't stopped smiling.

Sprained my thumb last night, can't even use it for the space bar it hurts so bad. So I'm gonna take a day or two off, just swim a lot and do only leg stuff, which is gonna kill me. I want to do jiu jitsu.

22. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Day I got my brown wrapped around my waist I was shaking.. I was never so "shy" in my life.. I didnt know what to say.. everyone clapping and my coach giving a huge speech about why I deserved it.

I'll never ever forget that day, best day of my life. Can't wait to hear about yours

23. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Your log is one of the few, lifting or otherwise, I enjoy reading.
    For what its worth.

24. Hillary

My thumb only got stiffer throughout the day...so I decided to take a day off.

Slept 8-7 last night and 11-3 today. I needed the rest. Woke up, swam almost constantly for about 45 minutes.

I'm terrified of receiving my purple belt, but I thought about it a little today. In softball, I was a pretty good catcher. I could throw out the fat girls when they stole second. But when I stepped up to a tournament team, with pitchers throwing 65+ miles an hour from 40 feet and quick athletes stealing second, I performed infinitely better. In volleyball, I could set okay about 50% of the time during league, but give us last years state champion and I was backsetting immaculately. I got decent scores at first level with my horse, but when we started training for Junior Olympic trials I started riding better. I could hit a golf ball easily around 270, but at the world championship finals with thousands of people around, I hit nearly 300.

Any challenge, I was down for. It made me better. I thrive off pressure...and I think I'm ready for this pressure, whenever it comes.

25. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Hey, I know you're quitting soon for a year but why not just cut back on a bit on some of the stuff you do. Like instead of rolling in the morning and teaching some classes in the evening, just do one training session that would be a hour or two a day. I don't see why you should quit completely.