SRS Past few weeks have been shitty

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tubachris85x, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Well, Im just letting this out and have been under alot of stress lately.

First off, at the end of spring session at my school, I was told that I had to take 6 classes to finish my associates. Well, this was partly my fault for never fully knowing what classes I needed to take and an advisor a year prior telling me that some of the 6 classses Im taking now is "not required and not to worry about them." So yea, I got boned. By the time I found out, it was too late for me to split them between the summer sessions. Being pressured by everyone, espeically my parents telling me that "I have no other choice," I felt forced into doing 6 classes for a 6 week summer session.

Well, at this point, the shits hit the fan. Im failing two classes (one with a D and one with an F) The class with an F right now wasnt like this originally. I was at a B. Our professor decided to emphasize this attendance policy only yesterday (it's finals week) where for every day of class you miss, you get penalized with -10 points off your grade. Well, being a heavy sleeper and long nights of doing homework, I managed to screw myself over just because of attendence. I was doing perfectly fine as far as the class is concerned, but yea, I flunked it automatically. About 5 others instantly failed as well, and unless a significant legitment excuse was given a week prior to the absence, nothing will prevent a grade deduction. For example, one student had a death in the family, which he had to fly out of state to deal with. She knew about this the day he found out, and she still deducted points from his grade for it.

Because of this, I feel like I just can't win anymore. The reason for me having to do these 6 classes were the result of pressure by my parents plus the fact that I could no longer afford to live up here in tallahassee. After I told them about the classes, they became livid, and I am having to move back down with them for awhile.

I dont know what to feel right now. I feel like a complete failiure at almost everything. Im not blaming anyone but myself for them, but I can't seem to get it out of my head. I just feel like shit. And now my good shoes are starting to fall apart. FML

2. Spats

Spats Guest

Learn from this. Don't overwhelm yourself just because you're feeling the pressure from your folks. Do what you can and get through it, talk with your professor and see if he can't a little less aggressive with his grading from the attendance. Other than that, you have to finish whats on your plate, because after all YOU put it there.

3. FrEaKsHoW 24/7

FrEaKsHoW 24/7 Member

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but these two excerpts don't exatly jive with each other. Sounds to me like you have to take the classes because you either didn't fully research which ones you needed, or your advisor basically fucked up by telling you they weren't required. Perhaps a bit of both in this case.

At any rate, I can fully understand how you feel. Life can be very difficult at times. Your parents are pressuring you to move back home because it appears to them that you can't be trusted to be responsible enough to manage your own life. They likely feel they need to "teach" you more before you are ready to move out into the world. That's not necessarily all your fault though. Bad choices coupled with bad advice have brought you where you are. Best advice I can give is to tough it out, learn from your situation, and try to choose better next time.

Good luck though. Don't take my comments too hard. We're only trying to help each other.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

In my opinion , goto the conrector and protest. Say that you are so overworked and so overstressed that you can't possibly attend all the classes and that you have to do so much homework late at night that you , were getting B's in the classes and were doing fine until that jackass professor of yours downplayed your score with an attendence penalty. Just say that this is not only happening to you but 6 other people as well, and that you demand that this immediatly changes because the demands asked are too high. If you don't protest you'll never get your hard earned grades back. Counterstrike, remember persistance is the key. Never give up.

5. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Im not disagreeing with you. Those other students who ended up failing the class were yelling at the top of their lungs to the professor. We all just found out about this yesterday, and I just did not have the time because I had other assignments and crap that was due all day yesterday. I can see what I can do, but it appears futile. One other student I recently talked to said that he went to the department head but to avail. The professor also claimed that it was a policy set up by the department head.

Alot of this was caused by miscomunication (in a interpersonal communication course of all things) where in the begining, she blew off attendence as not being anything of importance. But wait, in the very fine print of our syllabus, there it is. I guess from now on, that'll be the first thing I read when I start a new class. What's pissing me off more about the policy is the fact that by their standards, there is absolutly no legitment excuse unless you plan on missing that class a week before it, and the fact that this is the only class that I've seen at my college with this policy.

Its just so frustrating that I did all of that work just to end up getting fucked over by a stupid policy thats meant to hurt you.

6. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Well, I just went and spoke with the dean of the department. I presented the argument that I felt overworked taking 6 classes, which left me extremely fatigued. I usually wouldn't have done this, but due to the fact that I am taking 6 classes on an excellerated course, I feel it is a unique situation.

She seemed to fully understand where I was coming from and agreed that taking 6 classes was not a very good thing to do. She told me that she would talk to my professor, but in the end, the descision is still up to her. Hopefully the Dean's understanding of this will help to sway my professor. Will find out sometime between now and monday..