password protected page - help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BigErn, Sep 24, 2006.

1. BigErn

BigErn OT Supporter

i am trying to password protect a simple html page.

i want the password box to pop up with a preset username in it, and just have someone have to enter a password to get in. so far all i can get is both user/password.

any help here? :x:

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

it has something to do with the htaccess list.

if you had dreamhost as your host, i could walk you through it, it's fairly simple

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

wait...you want a password box to pop up with a preset USERNAME??? no...surely you mistyped that.

You prolly want 1 text box for username and 1 for password. And you want the username to be already populated right?? The easy and unsecure way is to use a form and just hardcode the password into the HTML page. However, that's not at all secure but it'll work.

If you want something a bit more secure, you could call a response.php page that actually contains the password and does the checking for you.

4. __Saviour__

__Saviour__ New Member

there is a very simple javascript solution. but is also very unsecure and should not be used to protect important content.
    the idea is that you let the user enter a password, and then the browser is then redirected to that entered password + .html
    so for example if you put the content on a page called ijdfijd.htm, then the password would be ijdfijd