Password authentication for peer to peer windows XP network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 04, Jan 11, 2003.

1. 04

04 Guest

Ok, I have a network right now with 3 computers on it. 2 run winxp, and one runs win 2000. I would like to be able to share folders on the network without allowing access to everyone. I want to be prompted for a username and password when I access a share. But I cannot get it to work correctly! :mad: I checked usenet and could not find anything that could help me. :(
  2. Rob

Rob Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 6, 2002
    When you share the drive go into the options for security, in there will be the options about users and authentication.
  3. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, I know, but I cannot add a person from another computer to the list of logins. :(
  4. Mr. President

Mr. President New Member

Dec 25, 2002

All the machines have to have exactly the same network protocols installed.

Make sure each computer has the NetBEUI protocol installed (driver is in a subfolder on the WinXP/2000 CD).

Then they all have to have matching usernames and passwords since you aren't using a domain.

Make sure simple file sharing is turned OFF. (Tools > Folder Options > View tab > bottom of the check box list)

Share your folders accordingly giving each username the appropriate permissions etc.

Then in your network connection properties, under the Authentication tab, check box the "Authenticate as computer when computer information is available"

These are required to get your computers to talk to each other.