GUN passed my test this weekend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by playrude88, Aug 9, 2004.

1. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

now after i go to the sheriff's dept to get my background check and fingerprints ill be official. ill be legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon. since im somewaht new to handguns (not guns, ive been shooting rifles and shotguns for a while) im starting with a 9mm jenkins. its by far not the best gun in the world but osmething to hold onto until i get a glock 17 9mm. what do you guys think about the 9mm jenkins?

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Jenkins? Are you sure its not a Jennings? If so you are lucky if it will fire.. they are the cheapest crappiest guns you can get.

I would get Glock 17 ASAP

3. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

im sorry..it probably is a jennings. i used it for my test. im only going to carry it for a couple of months. my buddy is selling his glock so im buying that

4. Y2kAccord

Then its a good deal to get the Glock as soon as you can.

5. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Get rid of the Jennings ASAP. And I mean it. It is ubershit

6. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

lol...i think im catchin the hint on the jennings

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Jennings are made from the lowest quality metal available and will absolutely break in the first 100 rounds or so.

As others have stated get the Glock ASAP and don't trust your life to that POS pistol.

Are you in Ohio?

8. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

yeah im in cincinnati.

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Check out TDI Ohio (just outside of Cinci) for more advanced training. The minimum for your CCW is more of a safety and legal briefing rather than defensive tactics and skills you will need once you start carrying a pistol. I've taken handgun 1-3 there as well as some other classes and it's a good program. I don't advocate everything they teach but over-all it's solid.

The Glock 17 is a great gun (the first pistol I ever bought) but it can be a little large to carry concealed. It sounds like you have a line on one from a friend but you should take a look at the Glock 19 before you buy. I carried my 17 for 5 years and did fine but after switching to a Glock 19 I wouldn't go back.

10. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

how much can i get a used 19 for?

11. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I'm sure that's the most over statement ever made :hsugh:

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I've seen them as low as $350 or as much as $450 with night sights or mags. I would say about $400 with 2 10 round mags or $450 with a full-cap would be fair.

If you are going to carry this gun (it sounds like you intend to) get as good a gun as you can afford. This is not the place to save a hundred bucks. This is the one gun you will most likely have with you when you REALLY need a gun to work. Your life is worth more than that shitty Jennings unless there is NO way you can afford anything else.

13. Y2kAccord

For the same price range Springfield XD-9 and XD-40 are good buys starting at $400.. I paid $439 for my XD-40, and are very comparable to Glocks

14. Big Country

Big Country Guest

LOL, my brother-in-law gave me his Jennings 9mm b/c he had never even used it and didn't want it in the house anymore (kids in the house). I fired less than 50 rounds through it before it broke. Needless to say, I didn't bother fixing it.

15. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

well, today im going to look at guns. im going to have 400 to spend. what should i look at new or used guys? obviously im partial to glocks since ive shot one and loved it. should i just go with that or do you guys recommend something else for the 400 range?

16. Y2kAccord

XD as I mentioned above, you can get new for $400

17. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

got a pic and some specs of em? i cant go to a gun website right now, im at work and they wont allow it. can u throw me some pics and specs on here?

18. Y2kAccord

2003 NRA HANDGUN OF THE YEAR

Caliber: .40 S&W
    Capacity: 10+1
    Barrel: 4.05"
    Sights: Dovetail front & rear (steel)
    Size: .40 S&W: 27 ozs., 7" overall length
    Trigger Pull: 5.5 to 7.7 lbs. Ultra Safety Assurance (USATM) action trigger system
    Magazines: 2 Stainless Steel 10 rd., easy glide magazines (Law Enforcement & Export: 12 rd. .40 S&W)

5" tactical model, there is also a 4" duty model which is what I have, looks like this only the barrel is 1" shorter
    With a XD-40 you can also for $150 buy a 9mm barrel and shoot two calibers out of the same gun.. if you want 3 guns in one with the XD-40 you can also get the .357sig barrell too
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  19. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

im really dumb to guns but id imagine a .40 cal is stronger than a 9mm? sorry if thats a completely ignorant question. which would you recommend for conceal carry?

20. Y2kAccord

a .40 cal is a larger caliber than a 9mm (which is acutally a .354), but its not like a huge difference, the recoil is similar.
    XD 4" could be concealed and would be a reliable weapon. I like it because you can swap out the barrels to other calibers

21. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

awesome. any other suggestions from anyone? i will definitely check out the XD. i like the way it looks and teh specs sound great. i definitely like that you can switch the caliber. you would also have to switch the mags too wouldnt you? i will check the guns out tonight at the shop

22. Y2kAccord

From what I can tell the mags are the same.

23. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

thats interesting, you would think you'd have to change mags also. kinda cool. any other guns that anyone suggests i look at?

24. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

9 mm mags won't work in the 40's .357 sigs kinda do.

25. playrude88

playrude88 Guest

thats what i thought