GUN Passed my Conceal Carry exam yesterday

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Dec 22, 2008.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Went and took my CCW course yesterday so I can carry in the state of Ohio. Passed the written portion w/ a 96% and was the best in my class as far as the shooting portion goes (i managed to make a 4" dia 5 shot grouping at 50ft). I've got a CZ P-01 and the M-tac holster.

The class was 8am to 8pm and was in my opinion well run (B&T Shooting Supplies, Elyria), but it also made it very clear that carrying in OH is very difficult, too many places that one can not legally carry. The state hands out these like candy rendering the ability to CC nearly impossible.

[​IMG]

I have my appt. set up w/ the county sheriff's dept for next week and should receive my permit within 90 days.

2. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I guess signs hold weight in OH?

3. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

I went to get mine but I have to update my license first. And of damn course the dmv is never open. Never. :mad:

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Wife and I had an appt. to take our Utah permit class last week but I came down with a nasty flu. We'll have it soon enough

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

If i'm remembering my instructor correctly, it'll probably end up being a felony if you do so
    I had mine scheduled for the end of August, but my grandfather passed away 5 days prior which meant I attended the funeral instead of the class, then I had to leave for college. :mad:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  6. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

It's misdemeanor tresspass IF they decide to press charges, IF they catch you.

I have only encountered 2 places I can't carry so far. A Value City Furniture and a local animal shelter. I even carried in the liquor store Friday evening.

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Sadly for you, Cleveland and anything north of Columbus sucks for carrying. A lot of places there are posted. Down here in Cincinnati, not many places are posted.

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I like it in Texas when I see the little gun with a Circle and Dash through it. Doesnt mean shit in Texas

9. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Concealed means concealed.

10. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

the guy who I took the class under was most knowledgeable about Cleveland, which is really tightening up on it, so that probably has a lot to do w/ it. As far as the little signs, they're everywhere, i'm 13mi west of Cleveland.

Liquor stores are now ok, they sell alc, but not serve it, according to the new changes.

11. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

In GA unless it's a place that's specifically against the law (Church, sporting events, bars that only serve alcohol etc.) you can bring a CCW wherever you want. The mall near my house has a sign saying no firearms allowed, but by law they can't do shit other than ask you to leave.

If you don't leave then you can be fined/arrested

12. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Oh and :rofl: for having to take a test and wait 90 days.

13. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Let me clarify something about the signs in Ohio. Basically all those signs say, unless specified by law, is that the ownership or management of a particular place doesn't want you carrying in there. If you DO carry in there and they see it, they can ask you to leave, If you refuse to leave, you can be charged with trespassing. It's not like if you get caught it is an automatic trespass arrest. Hell, even your 1st-3rd offenses for it are just tickets.

14. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

And one more thing. Ohio is a "Shall Issue" state. If they don't get you your license within 45 days you can march down to the sheriff's office and they MUST issue it to you right there on the spot.

15. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

took me 3 days.

16. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

not a 90 day wait, instructor said it could take 3 months between getting an appt (lorain county is already booked through the end of feb.) and the actual issuing of the permit

17. striker754

striker754 Chillin

easy hardass

18. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

:ugh::ugh:

Sheriff dept's in Ohio have been known to hold up CHL applications for no reason. You know there is a reason they make a state "shall issue".

19. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

regardless :rofl: at appoitment.

20. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

its retarded, for Cleveland (Cuyahoga county) its open M/W/F and only by appt, last time we checked there was a month backwait

21. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Yeah that's pretty shitty. My CCW permit consisted of me going to courthouse paying $55 filing out a form and getting fingerprinted. My county took 30 days to get me mine, but most other counties in GA take a couple weeks.

22. LancerV

PROHIBITING HANDGUNS IN A BUSINESS OR OTHER ENTITY

In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Download language

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

1. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    2. appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    3. is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Please note that while the language provided above may be downloaded for convenience, it does not meet the requirements of Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) and may not be used as a sign.

23. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

how do you like that MTAC holster? i have the same gun. how many waist sizes plus are you using to comfortably fit the gun in that holster?

24. LancerV

Texas Required Posting for not allowing handguns :mamoru:

25. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I like it ok, i guess, I havent really worn it very much so i can't really comment too much. I wrestle in college so my pants/waist size fluctuates rather frequently, but i wear a 38" and it fits pretty well if I undo my belt a notch more than normal.