Passat W8 Wagon

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MeanGreen, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Need some help vw people. I really know nothing about them but a buddy of mine is thinking about selling his 2003 w8 wagon auto with 80k on it. The guy treats his cars better than I have ever seen anybody. Also looks nothing short of immaculate and he keeps them maintained perfectly. He is about the only person I would trust to buy a used car from because he takes such good care of them. It looks absolutly brand new short of the hazed heightlights he is going to be replacing soon. Ive drivin it a few times and it feels healthy and w/o problems. Just wanted some advice on the reliable they are as they age. I'm not planing on putting a tone of miles on it. They VW mechanic that he uses says that he has seen them go 300k w/o an issues ans along as regular maintenance is kept up. He also added the nav unit. I know he got it from Germany but I wasn't sure it it was a US option or not, figured it would be.

2. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

nobody has had any experience with these?

3. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

my buddy bough an 03 w8 wagon with 25k miles on it ... its been nothing but problems, he is looking at dumping his pretty soon....stay away FAR AWAY....his 95 530i e34 bmw has 160k miles on it and is more reliable and better to drive than the w8!

4. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Thanks. I actually was just looking earlier and saw that more people had problems with the motors than ones that had none. Than again naturally people that have problems are going to be the ones that bitch about them. I really like the car but i'm thinking of passing on it now.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

DO NOT BUY IT.

The W8 motor's 100,000 mile service costs $4000 and requires removing the engine from the car.

6. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

What all has to be done. I'm acutally re considering it again because my friend took it in to get a few things replaced like the Timing chains and a few other small things that guys said go bad with high mileage when I told him I was somewhat skeptical. Also was afraid when I heard they had torque convert problems but apparently that was from people getting the trans serviced. When the did so the tech changed the lifetime trans filter when apparently VW said its a huge NO NO to do such unless you are fully replacing the trans.

He has a local VW guy who owns a shop do all his work that has a very high reputation for great work and honest opinion. Have not herd one bad thing about his rep. Before it just went out of warranty the owner also took it back to VW to have it looked over from top to bottom. The sales guy he bought it though said take it back than and make up a few excuses that would basically amount to "yeah, each major system of the car has some problem with it". They said they tested it out and couldn't find a damn
    thing wrong with the whole car.

For the right amount of money I couldn't really pass this up for a Daily, its to great of a deal for a car in the shape, especially that's been maintained to such great detail.

7. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Whats the gas mileage on that??
    If its such a good deal buy it tint the windows then resell it..

8. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

gov says 16 city /23 highway

about the same as my current DD 1998 Grand Prix

9. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

watch out if you are coming from a 98 grand prix to this, maint costs and frequency will blow your mind

10. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

The guy i'm buying it form it s really close friend of mine and his mechanic hooks him up big time on maintenance since he brings him alot of business. He said it would not be a problem for me as well. Also nice to have it maintained by the same person thats been doing it.

I've been wanting a german car anyway, and I know that for sure comes with the territory. I won't be putting alot of mines on it anyway until my grand prix dies and its still running strong as ever

11. deusexaethera

I have never taken my 1999 Passat to the shop for anything more complicated than an oil change and had to pay less than $1000 for the service -- and that's just with a 1.8t engine, and those are a dime a dozen unlike the W8.

You want to top off the A/C refrigerant? You have to drain it all into a tank, weigh it, add the necessary amount, and pump it all back into the car. $400. You want to change the transmission fluid? You have to drop the transmission oil pan to do it properly. $600. AND, if you do it on a transmission that's gone more than 75,000 miles without a fluid change, you run a serious risk of destroying the transmission because of detergent shock. You want to change out the front suspension arms? $200 apiece, and there are 8 of them. Why would you need to do that, you ask? Because the suspension is designed to flex as the car speeds up and slows down, which causes the rubber bushings to fail on a regular basis. And if you have one bad suspension arm, you almost certainly have 8 bad suspension arms. You want to change the belts? You have to remove the front bumper, radiator, etc. from the car and set them off to the side to get at the belts. $1000.

Seriously, the number of things that can go catastrophically wrong on that car would fill several pages of paper, printed single-spaced. Just don't fucking buy it.

The W8 engine doesn't even produce substantially more power than the V6 does. It's a total waste of money from a bang-to-buck standpoint, which is why VW doesn't offer it anymore. Oh, and the W8 engine likes to destroy torque converters. That'll be $2500 to pull the engine and transmission to replace the torque converter.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  12. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Man you really don't know much about cars. You should refrain from posting anymore opinions until you gain some age and experience. Every vehicle needs a pan drop for the transmission. Every car requires the AC procedure you mention - so on and so forth. What you've experienced is a couple good mechanics taking advantage of you because they can tell you're not very car savvy. OR you try and be car savvy and they, like me, can tell you are not. Now will prices be more on an Audi? Sure.

BTW - the myth on "don't change ATF after XX,XXX miles" has been going on since automatics existed. I have changed ATF only for the better. I even changed it on a vehicle with over 200K for the first time it was changed and its still going at close to 370K. And the "arms" you mention are not designed to go up and down when you ride but are designed to go up and down as the suspension flexes. This is standard with all suspensions while they "suspend" your chassis on springs. Bushings go bad on all vehicles. You were told you have to replace the arms - truth is you can use a press to push out the bushings and replace them if the arm has not been damaged or fatigued.

Instead of paying to have your vehicle worked on, get a manual and a competent set of friends and start tackling things yourself. Or get a Toyota.

13. deusexaethera

1. Every Japanese car my family has owned could have the refrigerant topped off without draining it first.

2. Every Japanese car my family has owned could have the transmission fluid drained (not completely, I'll admit) without removing the transmission pan. If you want to change the filter, that's a different story, but just a fluid refresh has never required a pan-drop.

3. I have met people at PassatWorld GTGs who have had the transmissions in their Passats go to shit because they changed the fluid after waiting too long. Never seen it happen on any other car. Maybe it's because the transmission in the Passat is the same $6000 transmission they use in the Porsche Boxster, and it expects to be treated with the same care.

4. You can press out the inboard flex-bushings, but you can't press out the outboard ball joints. Guess which usually wears out first? When I can walk under the car while it's on the lift, grab the suspension arm with my hand, jiggle it, and feel rattling, it's fucking dead, end of story.

As for the other repairs I claim are easier on other cars, I know they are easier because I don't take any of my cars to any shop that doesn't let me stand there and watch and ask questions. I've seen these repairs done with my own eyes, even if I wasn't the one holding the wrench.

"Get a competent set of friends." Right, because it's that easy.

14. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

No you drop the pan and replace filter with trans fluid. You need some mechanic friends that can fabricate. Then silly maintenance won't seem so "tough." Or really expensive.

15. deusexaethera

You lost me. What does having friends who can do metalwork have to do with dropping the pan on a transmission?

Anyway, I still advise the threadstarter against buying the W8. The coolest part of a W8 Passat is the dome light with backlit switches, and you can get one of those from ECS Tuning and install it on a V6 Passat that will cost a lot less to maintain.

For the record, I've done a lot of the maintenance on my Passat myself; I just happen to be partial to having a warranty on the major work to cover my ass if something blows up.

16. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Well I guys that can fabricate can "imagine" how things go together. What they do is so much harder than simple maintenance that simple maintenance becomes a joke. Remember that you are probably smarter than many techs. A good tech cannot be beat, and I have one that is probably the best in the world at my disposal, however the average tech can be a nightmare. I am almost always better off doing my own work.

17. deusexaethera

I see your point. Being an engineer, I can definitely imagine how things go together; I just don't like having to take apart something on my car for the first time ever, when I am absolutely going to need it to work right tomorrow morning. Part of the reason maintenance on my Passat costs so much is because I take it to the best shop in the area (when they park the Ferraris next to each other, but they still have Camrys waiting for oil changes too, that's a good sign), but also, the B5 platform is just a fucking pain in the ass to maintain. There's a reason Audi is up to the B7 platform now, and switched to the B6 platform a couple of years after it got hand-me-downed to VW, and that's because it's just a shitty platform if your goal is to not go bankrupt from having to service in-warranty parts failures.

18. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

Exactly :rofl::rofl::rofl:

learn your shit, dummy

19. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

Thanks for the info guys, I've learned to how to selectively listen to deusexaethera from the past

20. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

:rofl:

21. deusexaethera

If you fill a fixed-compression A/C system while it is running and after it's had a chance for the hot lines to warm up, then you will add the correct amount of refrigerant. If you fill it while the engine is off and the lines are cold, then yes, it will let you add a lot more refrigerant than you need. The problem with the Passat's A/C system is it has a variable compressor, so even if you try to fill it while it's running, there's still no guarantee the pressure in the hot lines will be "just right" for the correct amount of refrigerant to be added.

As for transmission drain plugs being a "Jap car thing"...:hsugh:...it seems to me that if Japanese cars are easier to service because they do things like including drain holes in transmission pans, then Japanese cars are "doing it right". Why would anyone support a company that intentionally makes it harder to get your shit fixed? This is why I will never buy an Apple product as well, no matter how shiny they might be. Shit breaks, and shit needs to get fixed, and if I can't even skim the instructions without tripping over special OEM tool part #'s, then the repair is harder than it needs to be. I'm an engineer, I know almost anything can be made easy to service -- but that isn't as profitable, is it?

Look, just go on PassatWorld.com and ask around for input on the W8. See if they think it's worth paying for if it's already got 75,000 miles on it. They're going to know better than anyone here, except maybe me, because I'm also a PW member and I've seen the bitching firsthand for the past few years.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010