partitioning a Raided drive(s)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Achance007, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

ok I got new computer that is Raided (2 drives act like 1). When I first got it; it was partitioned into one small 5 gig the other big 130gig. I'm guessing system software was running on the small drive and the other drive was used for storage?? Well I screwed something up with my sound card drivers and I wanted to just reformat everything with a fresh system. So is it better to get rid of the partition and just act like one big drive or go back to using the small drive for system software? I couldn't figure out how to go back to the way they had it configured. Instead I ended up installing two copies of windows on each partition. :o :ugh: So now I'm going back and getting rid of the partitions and just using it as one big drive. Am I going to lose a lot of performance and speed?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

im assuming u are running RAID-0.

Well remember, once ur boot partition gets fuller, it will slow down. So if u leave it as 1 giant 140gb partition it will start to slow down.

What happenes if u need to format again, and are forced to nuke ur C: ull lose everything u didnt back up.

You could also do 3 partitions (what we do in 2003 server)

5gb for OS. 10gb for apps, and rest for storage.

You could also create volumes, so they can be resized dynamically.

Yeah i went off topic, but i just thought i would show u some of ur options

3. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

how do I go back to the way they had it? The system software on one and everything else on the other???? I thought I did it right the first time, but I end up with two systems?

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

u can set it up doing a windows 2000 or xp install by booting off the cd, and installing the raid card drivers. once installed, u will see an area where to install ur OS, delete the partitions, and create 2 new ones.