partitioned drive "missing" 21gb of space...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by twinkle toes, Sep 21, 2004.

1. twinkle toes

twinkle toes moo

i have a western digital 160gb hd that i partitioned into two drives (75gb and 74gb). everything was working fine until i ran an error check on the 74gb partition last week. i got the error "windows was unable to complete the disk check" and after receiving this error, i noticed that the amount of free space on the drive was significantly off. the drive capacity was still 74gb but the amount of free space some how managed to drop from 56gb to 35gb even though no other files were copied onto the drive. i tried error checking again but was still getting the same error message. it wasn't until after installing sp2 and removing the controller card that the computer was able to complete error checking on the drive. the drive is still short 21gb of free space though. does anyone know how i can get that space back?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  2. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I think that's a Windows thing. Can't remember where I read it, possibly on a Knowledge Base item at microsoft.com.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I had a similar problem on one of my drives once, i had to reformat to get the space back.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Did you partition/format the drive in DOS or Windows?

If you bought the retail drive, there should be some software or you can go online and download it. It helps you setup the drive in Windows after you install it.

I'd recommend using that, but then again you'd have to format to use it.

Just a note, please DO NOT use a program like Partition Magic. I have seen it mess up drives too many times especially when there is data on it.

5. twinkle toes

twinkle toes moo

i partitioned the drive in windows. looks like i'll have to format the drive.

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Does your computer have SP1?

If you are running older version of XP or try to install XP using an CD without SP1. Then you will have problem with HD that is larger than 137GB. (Some number around there)

I think that is what your problem is.

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I thouhgt about that, but i'm pretty sure it's just partitions over 137GB.