Partition Magic or similar program on svr2003?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by strange_wu, Jul 25, 2006.

1. strange_wu

strange_wu Large Member

My exchange server is running out of space on the c: drive which is locking up the server. Whoever installed server 2003 left only 5 gigs for the c: drive, which would be ok, but anytime a service pack or anything downloads it completely fills up the drive.

Have any of you used a partitioning program on server 2003? Would you trust using partition magic on a production server?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

As long as you're running regular backups of the server, including the OS, PartitionMagic is certainly worth a try. I've used it several times effectively. Whether or not PM will run on Windows Server is another matter, though.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would trust ghost over PM anyday. And since you should back up the system drive anyway, why even bother with PM?

4. strange_wu

strange_wu Large Member

I ended up moving the page file to a different disk, so I don't think I'll have to reimage or repartion. Thanks for the help though.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is the page file on a physically-separate disk, or is it just on another partition of the same disk? If it's on a separate disk, great. If it's on the same disk, even a different partition of the same disk, move it to a different disk. Using multiple-partitioned hard drives is a bad idea from a performance standpoint.