Partition for Ubuntu XP Dual Boot...help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ranthal, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

So I'm trying to set up a partition on my hard drive so I can install Ubuntu 7.10. I was using GParter running Ubuntu Live and I tried to create a new partition however I got an error message that I was only allowed 4 partitions/HD. So...:

1. Any way around this?

2. If not, the partitions I already have are:
    C-FAT32 ~65GB
    D-FAT32 ~10GB
    Linux/ext2 <100MB
    and some small "hidden" one that is FAT32 <100MB
    Which one should I delete? I run on an ACER Aspire 2020 laptop that for some reason installs Windows with C and D already partitioned for some reason so I can't delete those. Any other ideas/options besides deleting?

Got class so I'll be back in about 2 hrs so if i get some questions I'll reply then (I know the details about the hidden partition are vague-haven't had the chance to investigate further). First attempt at partition/dual boot :x: kthanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You're using FAT32? :ugh: That's retarded.

Just reformat and start clean...

ACER probably has a restore partition on there so you'll need to determine if you have OS and drivers on CD, and if so then just get rid of the recovery partition.

You'll need:

ext3 /boot ~75mb
    *gb ext3 /
    2gb swap
    *gb ntfs c:

3. bostongreen18

bostongreen18 New Member

if you reformat and do a clean start, install XP first, then ubuntu. If you do it in the reverse order, XP will overwrite the boot loader and it will cause you headaches.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

is there anything on the D drive? most likely that is where your software is kept in some sort of restore partition and then i've seen the bios utilities stored on the hard drive on some systems (pretty stupid if you ask me) so be careful about blowing away that hidden partition. you may want to check with Acer support to find out exactly what the rest of those are.

by the way, what is that other linux partition? the ext2 one. did you create that or was it there already?